• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

HELP! no power!

  • Thread starter Thread starter At1Maverick69
  • Start date Start date Nov 28, 2004

At1Maverick69

Member
Aug 21, 2004
220
0
16
San Leandro, Cali
Nov 28, 2004
#1
  • Nov 28, 2004
  • #1
Hi! My 69 just died on me, well here's the whole story
a couple of weeks ago, I tried to start her up, and got nothing, I checked all my connections and everything was good, checked my battery, OK'd ground cable and + cable are new, alt is new.
then today, I tried again, battery is still charged good, so I thought I tried, after spraying some starting fluid, much to my amazement, she crank right up, had her idling for about 15 mins no prob! so I thought it would be good to drive her around. after a couple of blocks she just died when I came to a stop sign.
I am so dumbfounded here guys, somebody told me last week that it could a fusible link- where is this found? please help me out guys, thanks alot!!!!
 

MrBobMarley

Founding Member
Oct 7, 2002
460
0
16
Ft Myers, FL
Nov 28, 2004
#2
  • Nov 28, 2004
  • #2
Kinda sounds like a carb issue. Mine did that same thing once. Ran fine when idling. Put it in drive and it would sputter and die. Rebuilt it and all was well again. Maybe time for a rebuild?
 

At1Maverick69

Member
Aug 21, 2004
220
0
16
San Leandro, Cali
Nov 28, 2004
#3
  • Nov 28, 2004
  • #3
MrBobMarley said:
Kinda sounds like a carb issue. Mine did that same thing once. Ran fine when idling. Put it in drive and it would sputter and die. Rebuilt it and all was well again. Maybe time for a rebuild?
Click to expand...

Well, i dunno about that, cuz my carb is new too, and Im getting fuel into the engine, but when I try to crank it, there's nothing, no lights, no crank, no anything. if it was a fuel issue, I would at least crank, right?
 

2nd Mustang

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2002
2,488
0
46
Southern California
Nov 28, 2004
#4
  • Nov 28, 2004
  • #4
Does it only die when you come to a stop after you get it running? If you keep the rpms up, does it stay running? If it were electrical, I would think it wouldn't even crank or start at all. Your post sounds like two troubles, gas and fire.
 

At1Maverick69

Member
Aug 21, 2004
220
0
16
San Leandro, Cali
Nov 28, 2004
#5
  • Nov 28, 2004
  • #5
2nd Mustang said:
Does it only die when you come to a stop after you get it running? If you keep the rpms up, does it stay running? If it were electrical, I would think it wouldn't even crank or start at all. Your post sounds like two troubles, gas and fire.
Click to expand...

well it all of a sudden just died, it stays running even when it's was just idling around 700-800. exactly, it didnt start nor did it crank at all. it was this way 2 weeks ago when I wanted to start it up, nothing, no lights even.
about gas, i doubt it's that, i get gas from the carb to the intake and if it was gas related, i would have lights and it would crank, right? or at elast hear the starter solenoid click. am I right??
 

WORTH

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 18, 2002
2,166
44
98
Cape Cod, Ma.
Nov 29, 2004
#6
  • Nov 29, 2004
  • #6
At1Maverick69 said:
well it all of a sudden just died, it stays running even when it's was just idling around 700-800. exactly, it didnt start nor did it crank at all. it was this way 2 weeks ago when I wanted to start it up, nothing, no lights even.
about gas, i doubt it's that, i get gas from the carb to the intake and if it was gas related, i would have lights and it would crank, right? or at elast hear the starter solenoid click. am I right??
Click to expand...

If your loosing all power, check both ends of both battery cables, and if you have those ****ty clamp on terminal ends, take them apart and clean them too. and clean all the ring connectors on the solinoid.
 

krash kendall

Active Member
Nov 19, 2004
1,258
0
36
Aldergrove, B.C. Canada
Nov 29, 2004
#7
  • Nov 29, 2004
  • #7
I had the exact same thing happen in my '65 (headlights work then don't work, cranks then nothing, idles then dies for no reason). Turned out, after hours of work with the voltmeter, that the old rubber connectors at the firewall weren't allowing current through consistently. When you plug them together, sometimes the bullet ends push through the back of the connector without you noticing resulting in poor or no continuity. Have a look, it'll only take a minute to rule it out.
 

blue66tang

Founding Member
Jan 20, 2001
1,092
0
0
Medford, OR
Nov 29, 2004
#8
  • Nov 29, 2004
  • #8
Same thing with mine. The connections at the fire wall sometimes come loose, check them out. I was just driving mine down the street at night, ladydyda, and then everything shut off. Scared the crap out of me. I couldnt see a thing.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

2000 GT-Front Brakes Not Releasing
  • stormsedge
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
171
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 7, 2026
Bronco2fan
B
S
Best place to source power steering parts for a '67? (control valve, ram, hoses)
  • SophiaTatum
  • Jun 15, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
142
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Jun 18, 2026
SophiaTatum
S
Electrical Issues with my 2006 mustang gt
  • VerneVdV
  • May 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
0
Views
169
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech May 22, 2026
VerneVdV
A
1987 5.0 speed density Foxbody crank no start
  • Alan2204
  • May 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
450
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 30, 2026
Mcmahst
E
2007 GT Stalls when lights or a/c turned on
  • ejscarfo
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
240
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Saturday at 5:19 PM
manicmechanic007
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?