HELP...NOISE FROM TRUNK DRIVING ME CRAZY

steedastang99

Mar 20, 2003
I know its hard to diagnose a noise, but after a year of trying to hunt it down I’m at my wits end. A hollow bonging sound is coming from the passenger side trunk. It sounds like two things are hitting together when I go over bumps. I’ve checked all the bolts with no luck. The only other thing I can think of is a bad shock, they are Tokico adjustables. Is there any way to tell if one is bad?

• Sponsors (?)

I had a similiar noise to yours and after some searching and jacking of the rear, I found the a few of the UCA bolts needed to be snugged up on the car side. They were tight, but not really tight. That worked for me.

I cant get it to do it just by rocking the car, I have to hit a sharp bump on the road. The strange thing is it seams to do it more when i'm going down a steep hill. As far a exhaust, I do have a Steeda catback and bassani x-pipe. I checked all that, every thing is tight. I think I will check the UCA bolts with wrench not just my hand.

By the way GTvert01 I think there is a law against not having your bong secured while driving........ :D

In my 96 I can hear a freakin noise coming from the trunk too. It's when im going fast ont he freeway or going over bumps. I thought maybe the speakers were to blame.

The noise I had back there was more of a squeek. It turned out to be the e-brake cable rubbing on the clamp that secures the cable to the underside of the car. It's about just below the rear seats. There's one on each side and you will see the wear on the cable if that's the culprit.