Help Ole Rusty !

Ole rusty

Nov 16, 2017
So I got this car about 3 years ago now and it's been a good ride I got it from a used lot for 1200 bucks it sat on the lot for about 2years when I got it I had to put a new brake line on it before I took it home...fast forward till now I've done nothing to the engine or trans changed oil of course but that's it the it has well over 300k on it an will still smoke em off my issue is I want more out of it I want to keep it a v6 with the t-5 but I want to pull at least 300-400 hp on all motor if it's possible I don't know much about this but at the end of it all I want to get a 76mm turbo for it can use all the I can get if anyone has a shop in the bowling green ky area please let me know

• Sponsors (?)

300-400hp out of a v-6? A full bolt on 4.6 will barely crack 300 n/a on a good day.

You're going to work twice as hard and spend twice as much money to make a v-6 fast. They weren't meant to be that. They are very good commuter motors as you've discovered with well over 300k on it. Grab a new one from a local pick and pull for cheap and keep this as a daily. The 4.6 cars are cheap to find and take a beating.

But if you want to make a v6 fast going turbo or some sort of a power adder is your best bet. There is little to no aftermarket support for the v-6 platform and you already suffer from a lack of displacement.

Ok so ditch the v6 idea ? I wasn't sure if it was even possible myself but a v8 dose seem more logical for what I want how hard would it be to put a v8 in a v6 I'm limited on funds an knowledge I actually have a 302 block with gt40 intake efi but it is in pieces at my brothers

Check out davedacarpainter's build on his car, it's a fox car v6 using a super charger from a t bird but you will get an idea of what is needed for your block to reach your goal, I imagine a turbo may require a few different things but the block prep is similar.
On a limited budget you may be better off finding a v8 car to work with.

At the end of the day its your car so build what you want.

If your skill level and funds are low then a v6 doesn't make a lot of sense from a "performance" perspective. If you're just wanting a fun reliable cruiser then they absolutely make sense.

Cheap, fast, reliable: Pick 2. :)

Reactions: 1 user
It all bolts right in if you have a donor car. You'll need just about everything from the v8 car (engine, trans, wiring, k member etc). As cheap as v8 cars are getting you're almost money ahead to buy a running/driving car.

Mid 11's is doable. But isn't budget friendly. 11.45@119 here but it's a blower, full bolt on, cam only car. With a built trans, rear end, suspension work, big/littles to hook etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to make it a streetcar to run mid 11
Taking a 6 cylinder that's maybe a mid-16s car & getting to mid 11s will cost you tens of thousands of dollars if you aren't supplying any of the labor. As you add power, you will need to upgrade every component of the car: brakes, suspension, transmission, rear end, cooling, wiring/ecm, roll cage, wheels/tires, etc.

As other shave stated here, it's much more effective to start with a V8 as many of those systems will already be upgraded.

Thankful for all the info guys I have decided to just scrap the v6 idea I'm goin v8 for sure I drove one the other day an it was amazing how much different it feels, BUT I do have a question that my sound dumb I was checking fluids in rusty an the power steering fluid smells burnt any ideas what it means