HELP! PA Perf Alternator install

BlueSaph95GT

Sep 16, 2003
Oak Lawn IL
Just bought a 200amp PA Perf alternator. I want to install it and solve some of my charging issues (adios underdriven alternator pulley) but I'm concerned about using the stock battery/alt. cables. Should I upgrade to the PA Performance pieces? If so, does anybody have lengths for the stock cables so I can get them custom made? Or will the stock cables work fine?

• Sponsors (?)

You need to upgrade to 4 guage wire and use their wire kit for the alternator.

I recently did this and its really simple you should do it yourself along with the Big Three upgrade.

If you are going to remove the stock charge cable (not running it in parallel with your new cable), go with something more like a 1/0 cable.

You need to upgrade to 4 guage wire and use their wire kit for the alternator.

I recently did this and its really simple you should do it yourself along with the Big Three upgrade.

Big Three upgrade? explain....

I didn't think they had a wire "kit" - I thought everything was custom length/custom made???

I could use some links to see what you're speaking of....all work will be DIY, I'm just not an electrical junkie...I need all the help I can get. Thanks!

PA-Performance is dedicated to offering high quality products to every consumer utilizing the Internet. - PA Performance - You Only Buy Quality Once ! 1.877.471.8010 Is what I used from my alternator to my battery.

I also did.

Engine Ground 4 guage
Chassis to battery Ground 4 guage
Alternator ground to struct brace 4 guage
And Positive from battery to fuse holder 4 guage

I have the 240amp upgrade alternator.
I will be replacing alot of the wires with 0 guage wiring when I get my engine replaced.

NBS Big 3 upgrade - FSC Forum

Forgive my ignorance, but why would I want to keep the stocker and run it in parallel? Is there a benefit to doing this??? Sorry for the newb-ish questions, lol

The rating of 4 AWG cable is less than your alternator's output capability. If the alternator ever ran at neat 100% duty cycle, the cable could get hot or catch on fire.

Add to this, some of those kits have a fuse that's too large for the rating of the cable, and bad things can happen.

If you were to run the stock charge cable in parallel with the new 4 AWG cable, this gives enough current-carrying capacity between the two cables. I dont like using two power cables for an alternator however. You have to be sure the circuit protection is dialed in because if one fuse blows, all the current will go through the one remaining cable. If that remaining wire's fuse/fusible link doesnt open quickly, that's a fire.

THis is why Reldapimp's idea to simply use your own 1/0 charge cable is wise.