Help picking a Mustang(65-69)

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a Mustang from the 65-69 year range but I need some advice as to which engine to pick (200,289,302) and what parts would compliment what I want I'm trying to make.The most important thing is going to be fuel economy, because I want to use the car to travel the country while keeping it simple (don't need all that tech stuff). Why a Mustang? Well why not it's a beautiful car and in my mind symbolizes American freedom. So What engine setup up is going to be the best and what mods/parts should I get to enhance it? I have no problem with increasing the power to and I am definitely mechanically enclined.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Well I'm out, I have no desire to learn F.I. , or anything computerized for my projects.

Your input for anything else would still be much appreciated. I'm just contemplating if you can make a carb setup run as fuel efficient as a f.i setup. I understand a lot has to do with the driver, but I still want max efficiency out of the engine and gear setup.

My father had a 1960 falcon 4dr.144-6 with a 3 spd. standard. He was basically a Light House Mechanic for the Coast Guard so his car was over loaded with tools, held up by helper springs. They compensated him for fuel and mileage so he kept a pocket note pad with all his expenses. He consistently got 26mpg.
I think upgrading to a computer is just disrespecting a bunch of mechanics, rum runners and engineers that built these amazing cars. Part of the priviledge of driving these cars is learning how to maintain and drive them.

Just one old guys opinion.

Someone else will have to weigh in on OD's , I've never cared about MPG in my classics so haven't done any research. Start a thread in the Classic Tech forum, you'll get better responses.

I am a small block fan, although the Ford 6 cylinder is a good motor. Yes, you can basically bolt up a newer 5 speed to the 289 for sure and probably the 6 cylinder. Parts are available to do that. That OD would make a big difference on the highway for gas mileage. Put disc brakes on it for sure, at least on the front. Those drums are a poor excuse for brakes by today's standards. I put the Wilwood classic kit on my 68 Fastback. Pretty simple bolt on although my 68 had front discs and we had to drill out for the larger kit bolts. The kits are for cars with drum brakes not disc brakes. Holley makes a FI "carb" for the small block. Not sure if it is available for the 6 cylinder, check with them.