HELP put a 97 in my 95 V6. no fire...... has anyone done this swap?

alwayswatchingu

Aug 8, 2009
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and have searched thru a lot of posts before posting this. I recently had a 97 V6 installed in my 95 and can not get it to fire. I get fuel and it turns over but no spark. There isn't any power going to the coils... has anyone done this swap before? Is there any sensors I need to swap over or something I missed? The only reason I put a 97 in my car is because it only has 15,000 miles on it and mine had the bad head gaskets... I know I should have gone with a split port or 4.6L but for the money, I couldn't pass up this motor...... I am losing my mind trying to figure this out and ANY help would be appreciated............. Please let me know what you can offer.:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

97 & 95's have different types of ignition setup's. 96 and later models use the PCM to control ignition spark, timing etc. 94 & 95 3.8's don't use this method. Instead they have an individually controlled Ignition Control Module. The PCM only monitors the functions of the ignition while the control module is the brain. Without the ICM, the ignition system will not function. This may explain your dilema. Did you swap out any sensors or wiring harnesses? If you simply swapped over the engine without the sensors and used all old equipment, make sure everything is connected. You could have missed a harness, especially the one over near the passenger fender well by the air filter housing. The one over there is for the Ignition Control Module.

Make sure the coil pack you are using is indeed good and not just defective. Unplug the coil pack connector and test the three yellow (or white) wires while someone cranks the ignition. Usng a voltmeter, connect positive to one of the yellow (or white) wires and negative to a solid ground. When cranking, there should be 12V pulses on each of those wires. If not, your problem isn't the coil pack and probably a problem with the ICM. Again, check the connector near the pass fender well.

Its alive!

Just wanted to hop back on and give a follow up~ I finally got it running! The mechanic I used was the worst part of the swap. I changed over the ignition- the syncro, cam sensor and the coolant switches. This is after the idiot pulled off the intake..... SO after the unwanted extra parts, I am up and going again. There really wasn't a whole lot to swap over to put the 97 motor in the 95 car! I was suprised. And the reason for the no spark was due to the dumbass not having
A. The right firing order
B. He left three injectors unplugged!
C. He didn't have the syncro in correctly.........

Anyway, Thanks!