HELP quick..low oil pressure

okay, ive got a few questions. ive been having oil pressure issues in my 302. its a 90 lincoln motor. Ive got a double sump oil pan so i dont really know the capacity for it. also, since it has the remote oiling system, and thus a few feet of line and brackets to fill up, i figure add some oil to the system, so with the double sump oil pan and the remote kit, i put 6 quarts in it .

to cap up what i got
changed filter (There was **** clogging little input holes on it)
filled up with 6 qtys of 20w50
Pressures-
Cold idle-40 psi
hot idle-5-8 psi
driving/rpm-
1500-2000 rpm-15 ish
3000 rpm-20 psi
4000 rpm-25-27 psi.
i know this is a little low, but since when i cut open the filter there was no metal of any sort, and when i unclogged the filter, it was like old gasket material, i think everything in the motors still good. im thinking about now buying a melling high pressure oil pump, a rear main (since its leaking), a new pickup screen, and an oil pan gasket. while i have the pan off, ill check to see if the bearings are scored or anything, which i dont think they should be, and if need be, replace cam bearings, main bearings, and rod bearings and put it back together.
will i be okay driving it around with the pressures i have now? or should i add some more oil to bring it up some.

• Sponsors (?)

rule of thumb is 10psi for every 1000rpm. i would either check or get a new sending unit or put a real gauge(looks like you do already by having numbers instead of saying low/high) on it before tearing into it.

dragnazz5.0 said:
is that on the stock gauge or on an aftermarket gauge? is the oil pan an aftermarket pan or the stock oil pan. there should be a small sump in the front and a larger one in the back.
its a stock dual sump oil pan, and i think it has one pump with two pickups maybe..i dont remember when i had the pan off.
it is an aftermarket mechanical guage..
is this gonna trash stuff...after 500 miles on this like this no metal shavings in oil, no ticks or knocks, and use up to 5000 rpm

if its the stock pan....put 5 quarts in it and check it those lines arent going to hold that much oil. the pump only has one pickup. if youre not getting a knock or anything than i wouldnt worry too much about it right away. but definetly need to figure out why

dragnazz5.0 said:
if its the stock pan....put 5 quarts in it and check it those lines arent going to hold that much oil. the pump only has one pickup. if youre not getting a knock or anything than i wouldnt worry too much about it right away. but definetly need to figure out why
its not knocking or anything, and ive got 6 quarts in it. i think thats about right. But, im pulling the motor for a rear main and oil pan gasket, so i guess ill throw a high po oil pump on it, and inspect the bearings. are these pressures insanely low or okay for a seasoned motor?

My old motor had 55psi cold and 8-10psi hot, with a working autometer mechanical too. I made so many people laugh and go :eek: :scratch: hows it still runing?...it was like that for almost a year, after some time it started to die though, burned a quart of oil every 2 weeks, had NO power (couldnt spin 1st from a roll:nonono: )...When i pulled the pan and swapped my new motor in , the bearings in this motor were PURE COPPER, I was surprised the crank was still in good shape too lol I sold the entire motor with the engine stand for 80 bucks, to get it out of my way. If i were u might as well freshen it up whie the pans off....New bearings, stock oil pump, gaskets etc.