Help-Removal of Tranny Cooler lines. What's the secret?

mull9433

Feb 13, 2002
I'm trying to remove the tranny cooler lines from the radiator and am having a heck of a time. I'm afraid I'm going to break the connection off of the radiator and cause a bigger problem. I've tried vice grips and open ended wrenches. Luckily the nuts aren't rounded yet, but if I keep going they're going to be. Any suggestions? Special wrench? Thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

Tranny lines

I have a 90 GT and just attempted the same thing. I used a wrench...cant remember what size, and a pipe because the things were pretty much welded to the radiator. I recommend not doing this like me the idiot:bang: I would suggest possibly heating up around the bolt first if you do and watch the lines to make sure they're not spinning with the nut. I unfortunatly snapped both of mine, but as bad as it sounds it's an easy and cheap fix. I am just running rubber hoses with hose clamps off the broken lines. Works fine with no leaks, but I would have preferred the direct connect. Good luck, and I bet someone can give you some good advice out there...mine is just an example of what not to do-lol

there is a special wrench for these types of connections. it is an open end wrench that has a only a samll opening in it. it graps more then your standard open end box wrench. its called a flare nut wrench i believe.

I would hit the connections with PB and then make real sure you hold the intermediate fitting securely while you loosen the actual trans line from the intermediate fitting.

The flare wrench that 86 mentioned works well - just be real sure it fits snug or it can round off many corners at once.

Good luck.

PB Blaster. Its a penetrating/lubricating spray. Works great.

Like others have said get some flare nut wrenches. They look like a box end wrench with just a small section of the box end missing so that you can get them around the tube and onto the flare nut. They grip better than a regular open ended wrench.