Roush Help - Speedline Lemans vs Mags

Help me please!!!!!!

I have a 95 S351 that came with the Lemans style wheels. For my birthday my wife ordered a used set of speedline mags that were powder coated white. I had them re-coated to freshen them up. The fronts are 18x8.5 and the backs are 18x10's. I had KWD 2's mounted with a touchless machine so they didn't get scratched up. So at this point I am out about $3800. I got off from work early, jacked the car up, and tried to put on the new rims and tires. This is where I noticed an issue........the lug studs are to short for the inserts on the mags. I was able to get the backs to mount but I am not really comfortable with the number of threads I was able to get on the lug nuts. I was not even able to get the threads to catch on the front. What's the fix? New inserts on the mags? Longer studs? Please tell me this is a common problem and there is an easy fix.....I am going to go broke getting these wheels on the car.

Also I noticed the Lemans style center caps will not fit, is that normal? They are flat and have a silver back. The one that I got with the mags has a black back and "clips" into the hole. Are these the same ones all over ebay? I believe they are 2 5/16?

Thanks
Bill

• Sponsors (?)

Any pictures? Any markings on the backside spoke that identify them as real Saleen wheels?

Your studs should not be a problem?

Maybe the powder coating is not allowing the wheel bore to fully seat on the hub?

Nothing on the back of the new mags except "Italy 915".....the ones that came off the car have Saleen all over the back now that I look.

Seems to be a hard material insert that's deeper then the lemans style. Lemans are metal to metal but the mags have soem type of insert.

Testing Pictures...more coming

Attachments

• D car.jpg
    D car.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Mag Logo.jpg
    Mag Logo.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 181
More Picutres

New Mags (deeps lug nut area)

Old Lemans (shallow lug nut area)

....I think I know the problem!! Do you want the good news or the bad news!! :(
Before I make an *ss out of myself, check the offset of your "front" 8.5's......
does the ET say 35mm or 10mm?? I'll bet you .02cents that it will say 10mm, which means someone sold you two rear 10" wheels and two 8.5" rears. If I'm right, I'm really sorry..... If I'm wrong, I don't have a clue what is wrong :p

Bill.

The number after "ET". what does it say. 10 or 35? It will be hand stamped crooked. It's on the spoke next to the valve stem hole.

Like Robert said, if it reads 10 then you have 8.5 rear wheels.

I can't tell from the picture but Robert is prob. correct. There isn't anything you can do to make that wheel work anyway so don't even bother trying.

Also, don't jump to too many quick conclusions. The guy that sold you this set may not have even known the fronts he sold you were really rears. There are probably only a dozen or so Saleen magnesium wheel addicts/nuts in the world and two of them are posting in this thread.:D

I know the magnesium rims used a special lug. If I am not mistaken the regular 94-98 Saleen rims I had on some of my car did not use them. i just remember this because I don't remember having to buy special lugs fot the standard Saleen rims.

I know the magnesium rims used a special lug. If I am not mistaken the regular 94-98 Saleen rims I had on some of my car did not use them. i just remember this because I don't remember having to buy special lugs fot the standard Saleen rims.

...Scott brings up another good point that I let slip my mind. Marcus can correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe the special magnesium lugs that Scott is referring too are a deeper lug hence you will be able to get more thread on the studs to tighten the wheel down. That is the second recommandation......did you buy a second set of lug nuts for the mags?? Take a picture of the lugs you have and we can tell you if you have the correct set of lugs. Also, if you can get pictures of the inside of each spoke, we should be able to tell which offset you have. You have my personal email, you can shoot as many pictures to me as you would like so we can get the wheels identified......we'll get it worked out!! Just have some more patience :rolleyes:

ET 8 1/2 Jx18H2 (on the fronts)
I surely didn't see a 35 or a 10 on it anywhere?
The back tires are on the car but I don't like it because I was only able to get a few turns with the lug nut.

...on that same spoke, with the wheel dimensions, should be 35 or 10 stamped. Then again, it's not unusual for Saleen to miss details! After reading that you only got a few turns on the rears, I might want to change my original statement and go with the wrong lug nuts!! But to be safe, let us see the pictures of the wheels and the lugs.........I believe Mark @PAS has a set of lugs for the mag's, normally Joe @ Chicane has them as well or the last place and maybe the cheapest place is Cal-mustang (Scott knows where I'm talking about, that might not be the place)....

The 3 resident experts just beat me to it. The offsets between front & rear wheels are different & the magnesium Speedlines utilize a completely different lug nut than the aluminum versions.

I guess I'm sort of an expert since my '98 originally came with the mags & I replaced them with a set of LeMans wheels (courtesy of Marcus) which required me to purchase new lug nuts in a standard acorn style.

No Lugs and no Center caps......I talked with PAS and Mark is out right now but Kevin remembers something about new lugs for the mags. Anybody know where I can get the lugs and the center caps?

I am almost 100% that's my issue because the offset is different for sure and I talked to the place that i bought the car and supposedly they have been on my car. His story changed about his buddy with the S281 when I put him on the spot.

Thanks
Bill

I think the rubber gasket is used on the mag wheels to keep the magnesium from reacting with the hub.

That's exactly what the gaskets are for. I don't see the gasket on most of the used mags that go around though so it's nice to see them on this set.

Joe used to sell the lug nuts for the magnesium wheels at Chicane. He may have a few extras sets in stock. Otherwise, like was said before Probe/Coast High Performance sells them. They are stainless. The original lugs that came on the cars were prone to cracking.