Help! Strange Sound

DaDDyGSp0T

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2002
Southern Cali
my car at idle ticks...i recently put a x pipe, gears and a chip....when i rev the car the ticking gets faster....sounds loud like in a drive through.....my friend at ford says it is a exhaust leak...and some other dude said it sounds like my valves are messed up...i dunno what either sound like.,... my friend at ford sais that if it were my valves i would notice the performance of my car and it would sound alot louder that just a ticking....the ticking i have now is pretty bad....

• Sponsors (?)

I say its an air leak. In fact I just installed my bassani X pipe and I had a leak near the exhaust manifold that was ticking. I'm in the process of fixing it right now.

2001Saleen181 said:
I'm not sure how loud your "tick" is, but mine was pretty loud. Then again my leak was by the exhaust manifold where the air is the fastest.

yeah .... the tick is with the motor...im sure if it was something like the valves .... then i think the light would have went on and plus it would be a hell of alot better

i had exhaust leak due to defect header gasket.. the ticking get faster as I accelerate.. check all the bolts and look at all the area around your exhaust manifold. Look for some sort of black splattering ink.. if present.. then your manifold is leaking.. you car has about 96k miles right?

I have pics of the leaks i have in my site as well.. you might want to check that out.. it may/may not help.. but it's something from my experience.

DaDDyGSp0T said:
my car at idle ticks...i recently put a x pipe, gears and a chip....when i rev the car the ticking gets faster....sounds loud like in a drive through.....my friend at ford says it is a exhaust leak...and some other dude said it sounds like my valves are messed up...i dunno what either sound like.,... my friend at ford sais that if it were my valves i would notice the performance of my car and it would sound alot louder that just a ticking....the ticking i have now is pretty bad....

One of 2 things....either it's simply the injectors or below

there is a Ford TSB bulletin about bad valve guides. http://www.bullittarchive.com/reference/TSB/ - scroll to bottom...

Engine - 4.6L 2V-TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE-ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 8/29/2003
Some vehicles, equipped with the 4.6L 2V engine, with an "ENGINE BUILD DATE" prior to 8/29/03 may exhibit an engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. The noise may be emanating from the valve guide area in the Cylinder Head. The noise may not e heard with the hood open.