HELP tilt steering loose

glocktoys

Jun 2, 2003
indiana
I have a1986 mustang gt and the steering wheel is loose. it is tilt but I can shake it all the way around. I took the plastic off the shaft and tightened 2 star bit screws but you can grab the wheel and motion in a full circle about 1/2" all the way around. any ideas of where to get info on tightening this. it seems to be the whole tilt mechanism that is loose not the shaft. steering is fine and no play just loose tilt mechanism. any pics or links to how to fix this would be great. thanks again for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

glocktoys said:
I have a1986 mustang gt and the steering wheel is loose. it is tilt but I can shake it all the way around. I took the plastic off the shaft and tightened 2 star bit screws but you can grab the wheel and motion in a full circle about 1/2" all the way around. any ideas of where to get info on tightening this. it seems to be the whole tilt mechanism that is loose not the shaft. steering is fine and no play just loose tilt mechanism. any pics or links to how to fix this would be great. thanks again for any help.

Mine isn't quite that bad, but it's loose too. Hopefully someone has a cure.

ok i can not find the mystery bolts. any help here? found two on the drivers side of the car but no others. allot of wires but no bolst, anyone have a pic or a listing of a link showing where the bolts are? i am getting ready to give up on this car and sell it for parts and get a chevy with a 350.....now i have a busted off o2 senser too and missing bolts for the t5 tranny...will this redneck junk rod ever get running? anyone know where i can get a good price on o2 sensers??

jadedinpa said:
as i recall, the bolts are behind the turn signal stalk. take it off (or at least out of the way) and there they are.

ditto...

on the drivers side under the turn signal stalk, two each, 1/2" (if memory serves) bolts, mine did the same s*&^, when I pulled it apart to replace the turn signal assembly, I found them, tightened them, and all was well with the world again-hope it helps out!