Help trying to identify a Holly carb?

tredd1

Oct 8, 2007
Hey all

I have a 4v Holly carb swaped up from a 2v motorcraft. This is the first time Ive delved int 4v carbs. I got this Holley off of a 390 cid T-bird block in a junkyard. It work awesome when i put it on my 302 cid mustang block. However it leaks like a sieve. It been in storage for about 10 years. I have to rebuild it which I am not afraid of attempting. However, I cant find the model number on the carb. There are several numbers but really dont know what Im lloking for. I bought a rebuild kit from Mustangs Unlimited for what they call a 54/78

need some help

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

On the choke horn, top of carb, there is a "List" number.
Looking at the front of the carb...
It should have the letters, followed by a dash, then the number.

Something like:
List-5478
To use you number as an example...

To be totally blunt, that carb, while functional and adjustable as any Holley, is far from equal to modern Holleys.

You can find deals on late model used Holleys to rebuild and end up with a far better carb when you are done.

I picked up a 3310-4 (750 vac) at a swap meet for 15 bux.
Perfect shape, just thick with shelf dust.
After a good $40 kit, it will be perfect.

Just gotta start looking around.

The average speed shop in your town should have a book on rebuilding holly carbs. Search the internet including hollys' sight to help on carb id. A basic rebuild is easy just do the one thing that men hate to, read the instructions before you tear it apart. If you have a digital camera take lots of pics along the way to help you remember how it looks each step of the way.