Help Wiring Reverse Camera In My Silverado

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
Ive got a 2007 Silverado Classic with a Pioneer AVH-2800BS head unit. Decided to hook up my rear view camera today, and I feel like Ive got everything done right, but it doesn't work. The head unit switches to the camera when I put it into reverse, but the screen is black.

I hooked the power for the camera up to the reverse lamp. I have confirmed that it has power and ground.

The reverse signal wire on the head unit is hooked up to the reverse wire on the BCM (body control module) The head switches to the camera when I shift into reverse.

I have tried two different cameras on the same wiring, then the other camera hooked up with separate power, ground, and signal wires, still nothing. THEN I tried the different camera and wiring on a different head unit (same model) that I had laying around. Still the black screen.

Should I maybe run the power and ground from the radio maybe? I also dont have the parking brake safety switch hooked up, would that affect it? I feel like thats my next step.

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds to me like you have not gotten anything to display on that that video channel (the rear video channel), is that correct?

What happens when you try feeding your dash cam feed to that channel?

Right, but that doesn't eliminate either item as the suspect.

Do you have anything else that will accept the same kind of feed? What is the feed sent over; is it a yellow RCA cable or something else?
Yea, its the yellow RCA cable. Ive tried two different cameras on two different head units and got the same problem. I'm thinking it has something to do with it nmaybe needing to be wires to the head for power and ground, or I need to hook up the parking brake switch for some reason.

If you can, bring a TV out the car that has the RCA cable inputs. Power the camera in any fashion so that it gets 12 volts (doesn't matter how).

You should be able to run the feed into the TV. If you can, then that eliminates the camera as the problem. It would then be time to look at the head unit and try to figure out why the other channel is not displaying the signal.

DO NOT hook the camera leads up backwards, even by accident. If you do or if you have, that camera is probably toast already.

If anything works to this point then perhaps that head unit is due a firmware update.

If you can, bring a TV out the car that has the RCA cable inputs. Power the camera in any fashion so that it gets 12 volts (doesn't matter how).

You should be able to run the feed into the TV. If you can, then that eliminates the camera as the problem. It would then be time to look at the head unit and try to figure out why the other channel is not displaying the signal.

DO NOT hook the camera leads up backwards, even by accident. If you do or if you have, that camera is probably toast already.

If anything works to this point then perhaps that head unit is due a firmware update.
Ill have to see if i can lug one of these 60 inch TVs outside. Lol

And I'm pretty sure I hooked the + and - up right. I was just going off of what some internet forums I'd though. Not actual wiring diagrams.

Ill have to see if i can lug one of these 60 inch TVs outside. Lol

And I'm pretty sure I hooked the + and - up right. I was just going off of what some internet forums I'd though. Not actual wiring diagrams.

You can always take the camera inside and use a 12 volt DC power supply to check it out. I'm the type that has that kind of thing lying around but I understand if that's easier said than done. lol

You can always take the camera inside and use a 12 volt DC power supply to check it out. I'm the type that has that kind of thing lying around but I understand if that's easier said than done. lol
Well I got it figured out. I feel kinda dumb but atleast I got it working. Apparently the yellow RCA plug that says VIN is NOT for the camera. There's another one that says RC thats brown. That's the one I needed to use.

Now Ive gotta flip the camera. Lol

wWBzYZd.jpg

Reactions: 1 user