Help With An Upcoming 1970 Fastback Project

timstateu

Feb 12, 2014
Good afternoon everybody,

This is my first post here, so just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce the project I’m going to be starting on this spring. I just recently inherited my parents’ 1970 Fastback Mustang. I have yet to get my hands on it, so I’m not 100% sure of the complete condition of the car, but I’m told it still starts and runs. Last time I had eyes on the Mustang was around 1999. It’s always been a “project” car since I was a child and I remember being young and “helping” my father work on it in the garage when I was around 5 years old. My father passed shortly after the last time I saw the car, so the car has basically been in storage since then. My parents bought the car when my mother was pregnant with me so it’s always been in our family. My mom just had a stroke at new years, so the car has been passed on to me now. I’m extremely excited and anxious to get my hands on it and am hoping to make it road worthy.

I’ve come here for advice on the vehicle. I’m not a automotive mechanic, but I have spent the better part of the last decade enlisted as a helicopter mechanic for the Army. I have the knowledge to turn a wrench and understand how involved projects can be. I have a brother-in-law who is a mechanic and fabricator that loves working on anything Ford (total gearhead). So I have the resources to aide me in this project, which I’m extremely grateful for.

What I am looking to do with the Mustang once I get my hands on it is update it a bit to modern day. I’ve seen custom jobs online that have taken interior from 2005+ mustangs and installed them into the 1970. I want to stay traditional on the exterior, but as close to modern with the interior as I can. I would like to change over to fuel-injection, but without having too much knowledge of automobiles, I’m not sure what all this would entail. I realize modern cars run computers whereas classic’s do not. I was thinking about purchasing a salvaged 2005+ 5.0 Mustang for parts and have found some good prices. Would this sort of undertaking be something that would “fit” in the classic body frame, or would I be wasting the money on the salvage?

I’ve looked around and haven’t found any “how to’s” in regards to this. Does anyone have insight or links to projects like this?

I realize everyone has their own style and preference when it comes to classics, and believe me, I love a classic car, but I would like to make this one a daily driver (I only drive 10 miles to work each day, so it’d be perfect). My wife and two small children would also accompany me in the car from time to time, so that’s another thing I would have to consider. I would just like to have the modern-day comfort on the interior, as much as possible. It’s really important to me to get this car running because I’d like to be able to finish up what my father wasn’t able to do in the time he had. It would bring nothing but joy to be able to pick mom up and take her for a ride; I know she’d be thrilled to see the Mustang again.

(whew, I know that was a LOT. I apologize)

• Sponsors (?)

Swapping the interior from a 2005 would be a big undertaking .I have seen it done and it does look nice . The dash is completely removable in a 69-70 but i don't know what you would have to do to make the 2005 fit .i would take some measurements of both and compare first because i don't think it will be a simple swap.

There are tons of resto mod parts out there to make a classic mustang more modern. You didn't mention what engine is currently in your car, but from a fitment standpoint a 4.6 or coyote 5.0 would be much tougher to install than a fox body 5.0 HO from an 87-93 mustang along with the 5 speed or AOD overdrive transmission. Simply because a 5.0 HO is essentially the same block as a 302 which was available in your car. You can retrofit the factory fuel injection from the 5.0 HO or several companies make throttle body fuel injection retrofit kits which are much easier to install. The first thing I would do is convert your brakes to power disc brakes for safety. You can also get a more modern power steering kit from Borgeson which will improve feel and performance. Classic auto air makes modern electronically controlled AC units. Dakota Digital makes digital gauges which are definitely a modern touch also check out TMI upholstery. They sell kits to make classic seats more modern and comfortable, and kits that make modern, more comfortable seats match the classic upholstery. There is no end to the things available for classic Mustangs.

I am personally not a fan of modern interiors in classics. After seeing this done several times for the past few decades. It may look cool now but will look horribly dated in a few short years. The original "looking" interior will always look right. I would keep the look but update all the functionality. Like do modern gauges in the original dash and sort of thing. Just a suggestion. It's ultimately your car to do with what ever you want. Have fun with it!