Help with camshaft recommendations.

Although none of us, me included, should be making absolutes

Generally for power adders, you want to minimize overlap. Tightening the separation angle increases overlap.

What is "best" depends to a great extent on the type of power adder, supercharger and nitrous cams generally have pretty wide separation angles and a good bit more exhaust duration than intake.

Turbo cams in many cases are single pattern or have more intake than exhaust duration because you have to depend on the exhaust to drive the turbo, so you don't want any reversion or low velocity (at least before the turbine)

Corkey Bell even goes so far as to say the best turbo cam in most cases is the stock cam.

There are of course always exceptions, and there is a great more detail available out there.

HTH

• Sponsors (?)

just a quick update. the best answer i have for the wider lobe separation came from crane cams website and it basically says. a tight lobe separation tends to build torque early and peaks at a relatively low rpm. a wide lobe separation stretches the torque and power curve out and builds more top end power. and i have witnesed this first hand, so it makes sense. the first cam i had in my 65 was a fireball 290 which had lots of torque and a lobe separation of 106. my curent cam is a powermax 272 which makes much more top and power and builds more mid to upper torque. it has a lobe separation of 112 and is designed to work with a power adder. also split duration and lift cams work better with power adders typically you want 10 deg more duration and at least .010 more lift on the exhaust to help the spent mixture escape better.