Engine Oil coming out of cai

Andresquintana.mma

Nov 28, 2014
Hey everyone I just built a 93 gt with a 347 stroker. Aluminum tfs heads 205, comp CAMs custom cam, 1.6 roller rockers, after market ford mustang valve covers, Holley systemax intake 24lb injectors with matching mass air meter and Anderson power pipe. Tubular k member w coil overs if that matters.
Car runs great but after I drive it a while I noticed oil dripping from the passenger fender. Checked it out and noticed my air filter was full of oil. I have the pvc connected to the manifold with a t fitting going to the intake manifold and the vacuum tree. Engine only has a few thousand miles on it. Maybe 5k. Is there anything else I can do to help this issue. I’m sure it’s not supposed to do that. I can provide more pics and more info if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_1023.jpeg
    IMG_1023.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1025.jpeg
    IMG_1025.jpeg
    626.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1026.jpeg
    IMG_1026.jpeg
    438.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1024.jpeg
    IMG_1024.jpeg
    715.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Sponsors (?)

Have you pulled the intake tubing off to see if any oil present in the intake track and/or MAF? I would imagine the oil is leaking down from the throttle body after you turn the engine off

Have you pulled the intake tubing off to see if any oil present in the intake track and/or MAF? I would imagine the oil is leaking down from the throttle body after you turn the engine off
I did have to pull off the upper manifold a couple days ago but didn’t run it long prior to that. There was some oils in the throttle body and a little in the manifold where it meets the throttle body.

Post #2:

Post #2:

Thank you. That may be my problem. I’ll get some more vacuum line and run pvc valve separately.

I am really praying that’s not the case. I just got the car going.

I know it's not what you'd like to hear but there shouldn't be any oil dripping from your air intake. If there is there's a reason it's there and the only reason it really could be would be excessive crank case pressure. Like I said, I had a similar problem and didn't want to believe I had bad rings since it was a fresh build, so I chased my tail trying to solve it. Every time I took care of one leak another would pop up. I finally accepted the fact that something wasn't right with the rings and pulled the engine. I gave it a fresh drill hone and new rings and the issue went away. So I'd recommend starting by finding out if you have excessive crankcase pressure, that'll give you a good indication whether you've got to pull the engine or if it's something else that would hopefully be less labor intensive..... :cross:

Reactions: 1 user
I know it's not what you'd like to hear but there shouldn't be any oil dripping from your air intake. If there is there's a reason it's there and the only reason it really could be would be excessive crank case pressure. Like I said, I had a similar problem and didn't want to believe I had bad rings since it was a fresh build, so I chased my tail trying to solve it. Every time I took care of one leak another would pop up. I finally accepted the fact that something wasn't right with the rings and pulled the engine. I gave it a fresh drill hone and new rings and the issue went away. So I'd recommend starting by finding out if you have excessive crankcase pressure, that'll give you a good indication whether you've got to pull the engine or if it's something else that would hopefully be less labor intensive..... :cross:
Ok thanks for the advice. How would I tell if I have too much crank case pressure?
I just re routed my vacuum lines. Thinking of buying the tree that goes under the manifold. I have everything hooked up to the throttle body or the nipples on the manifold closest to throttle body.

You can do a leak down test to see what kind of pressure the cylinders are holding. You could also rig a pressure/vacuum gauge to some outlet from the crankcase and run the engine, but I can't tell you any definitive numbers or anything.

I’ll do a leak down test next. I’m wondering if I have the pcv valve routed right it just says to manifold. I’m missing the tree under my manifold going to buy that and move the vacuum from the throttle body are on the manifold to under the. Manifold to that main tree. Also I saw a picture of a pcv valve on LMR and it had like two outlets? Where does the 2nd one route to?

One size fits all, just get one from the corner auto parts store, you'll get the same thing for less money, common part made the same for like 60 years.
Ok thanks. I have one from Autozone didn’t know if the 2 nozzles on the one from LMR would make a difference or if there was another hose I was missing. Still getting oil in my filter from the cai. Not 100 percent where it’s coming from I checked all the hoses and they looked dry. Where are the possible locations the oil can be coming from so I can check

Oil, like poop, runs down hill, I know, we all know this, I would start the car and pull the breather line (the vac line connected to the top of the throttle body) cover the nipple with a finger and look for smoke coming from the hose, you could pop the oil fill cap and look for smoke (blow by).
With the engine off, pull the inlet tube off the throttle body, looking for oil puddling behind the blade.
Do you have smoke out the tailpipes?