Help with PATS pr

RobbieKnobbie

May 25, 2019
Pennsy
Hi All,
I have an 07 v6 convertible that I bought new in 08. For the most part the car has been great for years now and I have no reason to replace it.

But two or three winters ago it started giving me a hard time starting when cold. I would insert the key and the PATS light (car with padlock in left instrument cluster) would flash rapidly. When this happened, I would hear (I believe) the fuel pump prime the system, but the starter would not engage.

Fair enough, the car didn't think I was using the correct key. It's cold, electronics are weird, I get it.

So I would typically remove the key and reinsert it a few times and it would start. Maybe the 4th try, maybe the 20th, but usually within a few minutes. I never had to disconnect the battery or anything, it would just take reinserting the key over and over till it worked. 15th try the motor would crank right up and the problem would disappear for a day, a week, or maybe all spring and summer.

This is the same with both keys... and both are original Ford keys that were issued with the car. Knock on wood, I've never lost either one.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago (May 2019) and I didn't use the car for a few days, and when I got back the PATS problem was back. But this was May and it was reasonably warm out!?! Since then, it's been every morning, and most afternoons coming home, but always five or ten tries and she fires right up.

Now I go out today and I'm getting nothing. The intermittent problem seems to have gone permanent. I tried 40 or 50 times to start is and every time, no crank and the PATS light flashes rapidly until I remove the key. Looked it up online and saw a few suggestions about trying the other key (I did) and disconnecting the battery for half an hour (I did, and put it on the charger just in case, but the charger went straight to low amps, indicating a full charge)

So my choices are disabling the PATS system - which I'd prefer not to do - or fixing it.

Does anyone have a troubleshooting flow chart to help with diagnostics? Is it usually the transponder antenna inside the column, and are they replaceable (or did Ford put a digital serial number on them that the PCM checks at startup or something like Porsches/Audis?)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

By the way, electrically the car is bone stock, and mechanically, I've only put in a strut tower brace and the GT 12.5" front rotor kit.

• Sponsors (?)

Oh, and my car keys are alone on their rings, so the only thing hanging out of the lock is the key, the OE Ford keyless entry fob and a generic metal ring. There are no other keys anywhere near the column.

In case that matters.