Help With Rust

Assaf

Feb 11, 2017
I'm buying this car from overseas and it's a first mustang. Trying to figure out what's this rusty area in the upper right side of the pic is. Is it the floor pan?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 188
  • Sponsors (?)

If I were you, I would keep looking. That's a pretty big job having to replace both rear frames rails and torque boxes. Currently, that Mustang is not safe to drive.

From what I see patching would not really help. That's where the front of your rear leaf spring mounts. How are the rest of your frame rails? Its obviously a convertible so all the support for convertibles come from the bottom of the car. Sedans get a lot of support from the roof. If you hit a nasty bump your libel to fold that car in half or at least collapse the suspension on that side.

Any idea how much a fix like this would cost?

The rest of the frame seem ok to me. I attached a few pics for refrence.

I would really like to get you opinion about it as in planing to buy this car.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 166
Is this rusted thru? It depends on what they are asking for the car but the rest of the car doesn't look too bad from the pics. However there could be hidden rust under all that undercoating. There are other places that are common for mustangs that should be looked at too. Front frame rails, cowl vents, shock towers. It would be good if you could contact the local mustang club and see if someone will look at it with you. As far as cost I cant help there as I do all my own work but there are a couple guys here who could probly advise you on cost.

Convertible_LI.jpg

I have to side with TOS here. Although we have seen practically any Mustang can be saved, is it worth the cost of what it is going to set you back? You can check with Rusty or Horse Sense on an estimated cost, but for a first Mustang project this could turn out to be a discouraging money pit.

That is very bad rot ,i would be expecting much more than what you can see .Frame rail replacement will not be cheap as it is not as easy as simple sheet metal replacement .I would also inspect the floors in the surrounding area ,i am betting there is much more .It looks like the rear torque boxes are also gone and i would be worried about the rockers they attach to .Lift the bottom of the back seat and inspect the seat floor .Look at the bottoms of the rear quarters and trunk drop offs from the inside also .
We had a 66 convert in our shop and we could not let the owner drive it away because it wasn't safe to drive ,it was so rotten latching the top made it where the doors wouldn't open .The owner had it trailerd to his home where i heard it finally folded up through the rockers . Don't make a quick buy inspect it very well or have someone that knows about Mustangs inspect it ,it may save you some real headaches later .

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for you advice guys! I've found another 68 convertible with NO rust but inline six for the same price as the car above. If I were to do a v8 swap would it be a better way to go than fix a rusty v8?

Reactions: 1 user