Help with Stereo Install

1hot87gt

5 Year Member
Mar 17, 2017
New York
Hey guys. Finally getting around to installing the Sony XAV-AX1000 head unit in my 87. Now I think I have everything I need. Bought it from Crutchfield. Have all the factory harness adapters as well as installation trim kit and the keys to remove the factory head unit. It’s all wired up and ready to go. Problem is, I can’t get the factory head unit out. Now I can release it with those curved metal keys and can get it out maybe 2 inches or so. Then it stops. I’m assuming it’s stopping because the wires connected are not long enough to pull it out any further. With that said, there is not enough room to get my hand in there to try and unplug it, and if I go from the back side, there appears to be some type of metal trim on both the driver and passenger side that is preventing me from unplugging the unit from the back.

Anybody done this or something similar that can steer me in the right direction with a tip or trick to get that factory head unit out?

• Sponsors (?)

Did you look behind the center console? Everything is right there.

For removal of the OEM unit, it's easier to use two of the tools at once on each side and pull slightly until it lets go.

From Crutchfield:

I tried. It’s more than half way out but still seems like it caught on something. I tried pulling harder but don’t have a good feeling about it. Tried to reach under it to disconnect plug, which I found, and there seems to be enough wire. But it still won’t come up. Bleeding now so I came in to see if I can get it to stop before it’s all over my interior. My radio is the one with the graphic equalizer attached on the bottom. Could that somehow be wired too tight? If I can get the blood that’s pouring out of my finger to stop I’m gonna give it another try. I’m just nervous I’m gonna rip out something and the wiring is all original. Last thing I want to do is to yank the :poo: out of it. Any ideas?

The only thing securing the radio is the side clips and the rail guide at the rear. Try pivoting the radio up and down to see if it’s caught up on the rail

talking about this piece in the back

8014E229-2D4A-4961-9B7C-F6E218E14A4E.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I'm glad your radio held you up to give me time to respond. You don't need the install kit. The radio trim thing can be ditched. Please don't screw any holes in you dash if it isn't rough already. What you do is remove the cubby from the factory radio. Install the new radio cage. Slide the cubby under it. You do have to take the plastic piece that connects to the factory radio off. If needed you can use a thin line of gorilla or super glue gell under the edges. If you ever want to go back stock style it will snap off and easily can be cleaned up. These dashes are getting harder and harder to find without holes screwed in them for radio installations. I've never used a face plate kit. Been doing them in mustangs for 20 years. All you need is the wiring adapters.