Help with T5 problems...

87'GTstang

Feb 16, 2004
Okay i've been in a big debate as to weather or not the T5 in my stang is world class or not. I've been under the impression that the world class version was started in 85' and up stangs, including the one in my 87' which has a date stamping for october of 86' on it. The problem is that I thought 85'-95' 5.0's had the WC version and it seems that everywhere I go everyone wants to sell a WC rebuild kit for those years. Now I have two reliable sources that say no. One has all the credentials a Master tech could has and has touched hundreds of T5's and says that they didn't start going into stangs until 92' but Borg Warner DID start making it in 85' as un upgrade for race applications. Now my other source is Ford themsleves said the same exact thing. So my question who the hell do I beleive so I can get the right kit so I can finish rebuilding my T5 and get my $%#& car back on the road? Or could it be that (just a hunch) it's not the original tranny and it could be from a 4 banger?

• Sponsors (?)

The world class designation started in 85, but borgwarner kept upgrading the trans ,so a 92 trans is better than a 85, if you go to the TTC website(Tremec) they have a free download of the t5 service manual that explains the diferences(Tremec bought the T5 line from borgwarner) Also check d&d performance in wixom MI, they have a the parts you might need and are very helpful with tech. If your trans has never been apart, it will have a small metal tag attached to one of the tailshaft bolts, with the part#.you can reference that on the d&d or TTC website. 4cylinder T5's dont fit behind a v-8, they have a different diameter inputshaft.

Well it's definitely been apart once (someone went obscenely crazy with the RTV) so no tag. It does have from what I THINK first gear (don't hold it against me) not quite 3 revolutions on the input shaft - 2.95 ish. I say this because the tranny isn't together at the moment :) . Thanks for the response streetracer, anyone else know anything new or different in addition?

Thanks, i'll check when I am at the shop later this week :(
I'm thinking I saw all brass. But what about all these rebuild kits stating that they are for 85'-95' 5.0's and they state them being for world class T5's instead?

Basic rebuild kit is about 160.00, includes bearings,shims,retainer clips,fiber sycros. No hard parts like gears, that cost extra. Check the D&D site http://ddperformance.com/, they carry all the parts for whatever you want to do to your t5, and they explain the difference between the 2. Very reliable,quick service,been around for along time,They were the PRO 5.0 champs last year

Okay this is why I started this post, i'm still being confused about it all. ddperformance.com says that all 85'-01' are basically "world class" with 85'-89' being the weakest of them. Now I have a T5 with a build date of october of 86' on it, yet when I ran the numbers with ford here they said for 1) It's not a world class and 2) they didn't start going into stangs until 92'. Then there is the other guy I know (the master tech) that says the same thing. But then there's places like ddperformance.com and so many other places of the like stating the same crap that 85'-01' T5's are the world class models - so who the heck do I believe at this point???

Hey bud, just cause this guy is a "master certified tech" doesn't mean he knows his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to mustang trivia. I know A LOT about cars, but I know nothing about which transmission Chevy used in the vega between this year and that. Same goes with the Ford guy. Just because you got some jackwad from Ford on the phone, doesn't mean he knows a single thing about a mustang produced 19 years ago.

It is a GIVEN FACT that the wc designation began in 85. period, end of debate. Here is the break down:

85-89's were the weakest, with the 85 the weakest, and I think 86 even weaker. the 90 and up units are the best and easies to get ahold of, and are the strongest, UNLESS you can find a 93 cobra world class tranny, which is the best production wc trans offered in a fox bodied car. Yes, you have a wc transmission.