.....HELP.....

GT$bullitt$01

May 26, 2019
Ohio
okay so here goes it's going to be kind of confusing maybe maybe not there's a few different things so first of all I have a 2001 mustang GT bullitt I replaced the fuel injectors and I replaced all of the coil packs well now I'm not getting any fire it'll crank but it will not start and for some reason now I put a system in it and now I have to turn my radio on for my dash lights to come on and if I unplug the radio they work as should with the light switch and dimmer. Which I'm pretty sure I know what that is but could something there be stopping me from getting spark also my theft light is flashing real fast I've tried resetting it. I don't know if the theft runs through the radio harness and something's wrong there making the theft kill the spark the other thing is also now my fuel pump is constantly running it's not just coming on and priming and kicking back off until it needs to pump more its continuously running loud Non-Stop. after I replaced all of the coil packs and all the injectors I started it and it started up but it smoked pretty bad like there was way too much fuel getting pumped and not all burnt or whatever and then it died a few minutes later before it could clear out or at least let me know why but now after it died this time after replacing all coils and injectors with brand spanking new ones it won't start back up. I took #1 coil off and I didn't see any spark so honestly I'm lost, confused, stumped on what the heck happened. Please help with any idea you have no matter how silly or small or insignificant it might seem.

• Sponsors (?)

now I put a system in it and now I have to turn my radio on for my dash lights to come on and if I unplug the radio they work as should with the light switch and dimmer.
There is a ground behind the center console. This ground is shared by several devices including the radio and cluster. This ground is frequently messed up during a radio install.

What does the cluster ground have to due with your problem? Part of the anti-theft system is located inside the cluster. Soooooooo if the cluster isn't getting solid power this could "cause" a PATS to not "prove out".

1996+ Crank with no start check list

BUT. I'm going to go out on a limb here and talk about the obvious over fueling problem. IF the fuel pump signal return line has been grounded this would make the fuel pump run all the time at 100%. How could this happen? How about IF the wire(s) are pinched between the gas hat and fuel tank.

I have helped several people that have accidentally done this. To anyone reading this and thinking why doesn't this blow a fuse? Well it would if the fuel pump supply line were grounded. But if the fuel pump signal return line is ground this will CAUSE the fuel pump to run flat out non stop at 100%. Further the PCM won't have any control over the fuel pump.

fuel pump wont stop pumping

OBTW, Ford Factory PATS system does NOT disable the fuel pump. It works by withholding the fuel injector pulse. I suspect your original problem is PATS related via the cluster. Likely the fuel pump was OK all the while. So once you find the pinched/shorted wire in the fuel tank, don't be surprised if your original crank with no start comes back until the dash wiring is repaired.

Do you have an ODB2 scanner? If so, check the fuel pressure PID. Likely it will be sky high. Also don't be surprise if the high fuel pressure also takes out the fuel rail pressure sensor (FRPS). Check the intake vacuum reference line for raw gas.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 user