Here we go with the steering clunk again.

walter

Founding Member
Aug 13, 1998
Houston TX
Started last night (which was a little colder then lately but nothing major) took the car out for a drive as usual (no potholes, jumps, curb hopping etc.) now pulling into my carport the car clunks loud when I turn the wheel to the left sharp and about half way to complete left lock. Security guard 30 feet away heard it loud and clear.

Shocks, springs, and insulators ( which are the upgraded GT500s ) look about right. I just tried giving a twist to the swaybar endlinks which have given me issues in the past (they also clunked when just driving over small bumps) and still I hear it. It's a very predictable (always at the same spot and in the same way) dead clunk with no sound variations whatsoever.

Any ideas? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

somewhat of an update...

I just came back in from checking the car out. A quick visual inspection and I didn't see any sign of wear on the GT500 strut insulators. I looked for cracks and things of the sort on the top part and what I could see from the bottom and everything look snug and clean.

The swaybar endlinks that I had issues with in the past look to be in OK shape. When I first had a clunk on them one of the bolts on them was loose and you could shake the endlink back and forth making a sound. This time nothing like that. Couldn't really give them a twist where I could so I haven't eliminated them 100%.

Everything looks good..... except the boots on the outer tie rods. They look a little worn but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Check your balljoints, walter - jack it up by the sub frame and get the tire about an inch off the ground. Do one side at a time. Try to wiggle the wheel front to back, then top and bottom, see if there is any play or noise. Use a pry bar to check for up and down play also. Front to back play would be tie rod, top/bottom & up/down play would be ball joint.

Ok here's today's update on the noise:

I got a chance to take the car to my mechanic and he pretty much confirmed some of what I knew already. Everything under the car looks tight. So he tells me I need new shocks all around. The rears are leaking visibly.

Well damn. I got those less then a year ago and if they have two oil changes on them (10000K miles) it's too much. I thought Roush stuff was supposed to be a quality item what happened here? I hardly drive the car working only 5 miles away from home, and Its been two years since I took the thing to the AutoX track which leaves the rest as highway miles.

I left roush a message on their warranty/recall line but nothing yet...

I'll keep you posted.