Hey '70 guys, need your thoughts.

I have a standard '70 sportsroof and don't particularly like the grill emblem. Unfortunately, they molded a big chunk of plastic under it which I guess could be ground out but I'm also considering a couple other options. One is to use a Mach 1 grill and install driving lights where the grill light spots are. Another option could be a billet grill but the only one I've seen is at CJ Pony parts and I'm not crazy about the vertical piece at the center.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?Parta~ShowPicTxt~Z5Z5Z50000016e~Z5Z5Z5EBOAF

Another option might be to fabricate a grill but I'm not sure the best way to do this with a lack of welding skills.

Any thoughts, ideas, warnings, or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

there used to a chrome tube grill made for them, might still be able to find one at JC Whitney. my favorite option would be the mach 1 grille with fog/driving lights

No luck at Whitney. I'll probably wind up going the Mach grill route but I'd love to do something more unique possibly blacked out. I'm planning on painting the bumpers body color and powder coating the trim work black. I'm thinking no chrome or bright work on the exterior except the wheels which will be changed to these Coys. 17x8 front and 17x9.5 rear.

http://item.slide.com/r/1/110/i/Pnx2NVA05j-y5O9rptJmiHqmmroyiqSa/

Still can't figure out how to post pics directly in the tread.:bang:

No luck at Whitney. I'll probably wind up going the Mach grill route but I'd love to do something more unique possibly blacked out. I'm planning on painting the bumpers body color and powder coating the trim work black. I'm thinking no chrome or bright work on the exterior except the wheels which will be changed to these Coys. 17x8 front and 17x9.5 rear.

http://item.slide.com/r/1/110/i/Pnx2NVA05j-y5O9rptJmiHqmmroyiqSa/

Still can't figure out how to post pics directly in the tread.:bang:

i think the billet grill would be cool if you could have the center bar thinned out some. on my car i did a version of the rare optional 69 chrome grill using some chrome rocker molding tape i bought at the parts store. worked great and gave the car a different look. i also blacked out the argent grill trim panels and polished the outward surfaces of my hood scoop grill and blacked out the inner parts, looks great with the blacked out hood and the look is more integrated that way i think. check the link to my gallery in my sig and you'll see some pics of it.

i think the billet grill would be cool if you could have the center bar thinned out some. on my car i did a version of the rare optional 69 chrome grill using some chrome rocker molding tape i bought at the parts store. worked great and gave the car a different look. i also blacked out the argent grill trim panels and polished the outward surfaces of my hood scoop grill and blacked out the inner parts, looks great with the blacked out hood and the look is more integrated that way i think. check the link to my gallery in my sig and you'll see some pics of it.

I agree w/ you about the billet grill, the center vertical piece is too wide. Actually if it were blacked out it might look good but why should you have to do that to a $400 grill?

I like the grill on your '69. I've never seen or heard of that option. So it never had a badge or did you remove it?

Maybe I could grind down the mounting platform on the standard grill that I have. I might try that and if it doesn't look good go w/ a Mach grill.

I agree w/ you about the billet grill, the center vertical piece is too wide. Actually if it were blacked out it might look good but why should you have to do that to a $400 grill?

I like the grill on your '69. I've never seen or heard of that option. So it never had a badge or did you remove it?

Maybe I could grind down the mounting platform on the standard grill that I have. I might try that and if it doesn't look good go w/ a Mach grill.

yes the 69's did have an emblem but they were strictly a bolt on piece, mine is actually on the car now but in those pics it hadn't yet been restored and reinstalled.

yes the 69's did have an emblem but they were strictly a bolt on piece, mine is actually on the car now but in those pics it hadn't yet been restored and reinstalled.

That would make this whole deal a lot easier. The '70 have this thick backing plate that I'll have to try and grind out. I'll probably need to paint the grill when I'm done to get it to look good. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your input!!:nice: