Hey everyone i have a quest

itzjonjon69

Jun 8, 2004
Hey everyone this is my very first post, I have really liked mustangs up until the 05 models which i think look like **** but anywho im almost turning 16 and i was thinking about my first car im leaning towards a BMW, Audi, G35 or 350Z BUT I REALLY WANT A 04 SVT COBRA! JET BLACK! Would you guys recommend a 16 year old driving a 390 HP car? -Thanks in advance
(im almost a member on E46fanatics.com BMW Forum and heres a little video for you guys: http://www.ziplink.net/~jnocerin/cmt/LvM3.mpg 03 Lightning Vs 04 M#

• Sponsors (?)

I would suggest that you buy a beater car to learn to drive on! Why take a perfectly good new car to learn to drive on? You're going to make mistakes learning how to drive. When you have a nice car you need to know how to read the road, watching for debris, stones, big bumps in the road ect...i know my first two cars got beat up pretty bad just from doing stupid stuff when i was your age. Don't get a 04 cobra, WAY TOO MUCH POWER for a new driver like yourself! you need to learn the basics of driving a normal car before you can move onto something that will snap your neck in two! It takes time to learn how to drive a powerful rear wheel drive car/truck.

This is just my own opinion.

By the way, 04 cobra will eat the M3 for breakfast!! :owned:

Are you going to be paying for your car with your allowance? A cobra whould be to much for a 16 year old. I had a '87 Gt when I was 16 and it was too much. Must be nice to be shopping around for Bmw, Audi, or 03/04 Cobra at 16.

Ok, I'm sure most of us are well aware that threads like this can get pretty ugly because of our strong opinions, but let's all do our best to keep it civil, shall we?

Note: This is not directed towards anyone in particular. Just think of this message as a sort of "pre-emptive warning" for anyone wanting to flame & not offer any constructive criticism / arguments. Debate all you want, just play nice... LOL :D

Thx! :cheers:

Now, with that being said, here are a few factors to consider IMHO:

- Maturity level (some teens can handle a powerful car while others can't, or have no respect when behind the wheel of such a car)

- Financial resonsibilty: cost of insurance & the burden of monthly car payment (who's footing the bill? Are good grades part of the agreement? Etc, etc)

- Current driving experience Vs driving school instruction / track time
(ie -Boundurant high performance driving school)
An excellent investment for anyone, not just teens.

There are MANY issues here. Unfortuantely, the statistical evidence offered by insurance companies points to this decision as a "bad idea" when the topic of newly licensed highschool drivers and high-performance cars is brought up.