Hey guys :) - 2001 GT Premium

Will2001GT

Nov 27, 2011
Hello everyone, glad to be here. I'm new to Mustangs but I have always wanted one. I finally got my first one a few weeks ago, a 2001 GT convertible in silver. It has some nice 17" polished alluminum wheels that make it look great without overdoing it as well. I love it so far.

This is my second post though. My first has to do with the problems I'm now having with the convertible hydraulic system :( I'm not positive what to do but I'm guessing it needs both cylenders replaced. The drivers side is also leaking somewhere as when I pulled the seats out to observe the hydraulic system, under the seats were soaked. The amp (premium version) even had a plastic bag over it! So it seems this was a known problem to the previous owner. Hopefully I can simply change the cylinders and put new fluid in and be good to go without buying a new motor. And hopefully I can find some info on how to stop this leak as I don't want the water blowing the amp/speakers or making a musty smell that it's starting to do. The padding under the back seats were soaked and smelled bad so I took it out.

Here is the thread by the way - http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/849508-problems-convertible-hydraulics-pump.html#post8543326

Hopefully that get's dealt with quickly without having to take it to the Ford place (and under $500), and not having to replace the top as it is still nice and black with no tears, but I don't know why so much water is coming in. It must have been over a liter just from one rainstorm.

Glad to be here and very glad to have my first Mustang even though it's giving me a few hiccup's my first 2 weeks of having it :)

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the welcome :)

It's really not seeming that bad for a 10 year old car. It looks and runs like it's only a few years old. I'd still buy it again for the same price. It was just a bit nerve racking for the top to get stuck down and find out water is getting in even when the top is up.

But that's going to be a $300-$500 fix I'm almost positive now, then I'll get one of those $160 waterproof CoverCraft covers for it since it's going to have to stay outdoors.

I don't like spending the extra money but it will actually be fun to spend some time with the friend fixing the little problems it does have. It always could be much worse. And really I got the car about $1000 less than it was worth so these extra costs evens things out the way I look at it. It really was the perfect one in my price range; GT, convertible, premium (with the black leather and upgraded sound system) with after market brand new 17 inch polished aluminum wheels and brand new tires with no miles on them.

The original plan was to buy a can and then buy some wheels but this one had the perfect wheels already on them so that saved well over $1000. The tires sure are expensive to replace though so I won't be doing any burnouts if I can help it :)

I love the power though. I'm glad I didn't have this at 16 or I would probably have killed myself! Twice the engine and hp than my first car (a Nissan 200sx SE-R which was still pretty fast and a lot lighter).

I know all about them cars. I traded in my 2004 Nissan Sentra Spec-V (same as the SE-R just more options), and with the few mods I had done to that it was right around 250 never dyno'd so give or take a few. It was all riced out, from the complete body kit to the Y'd exhaust (not true duals).