hey guys got a small problem and some concerns

sn-95matt5-0

Nov 6, 2006
alright the last couple of days my car has been dieing at red lights and stop signs

i looked under the hood and messed with a couple things and found out when i unhook and blow off this plug that hooks into the throttle body(i'm sorry i dont know wat its called off the top of my head and i havent looked it up yet)it runs good for a while....

i had that problem this morning and this evening when i got it running good coming home from class i played with it a little and got it to 4k rpms when the rpms were coming down it backfired and poured out white smoke but still ran fine and didnt continue to smoke anymore

i was just wondering wat was wrong with the dieing and did the backfire mean anything

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Do you mean the IAC (idle air control) valve? And what to you mean by "unhook and blow off"? If you unplugged it and the idle was more stable, I'd say the IAC is either stuck (dirty) or has gone tits-up. That would not explain however the car running rich and blowing smoke though when its unplugged. Does it only seem to cut-out when the engine is hot or is does it also do it when its cold?

yes thats wat i was thinking of sorry i didnt have time to look it up earlier i was bout to go to work

i replaced the valve back in the summer so it shouldnt be the valve itself (it was doin the same thing as it is now)

when i said "unplugged and blew it off" i ment i unplugged it and blew it off like if maybe it had dust on it (i was hoping it just had a bad connection)

the car wont run at all with it unplugged and it was plugged up when it back fired

and i forgot to post that it happens cold or warm
it doesnt seem to really matter just some times it will sometimes it wont
i'm hoping its something simple i found out where my anti-freeze and oil leaks were and i'm planning on trying to fix atleast one of them this friday if maybe this some cheap fix(and when i say cheap i just mean soething not too serious) i will deffinately do it also

heys guys today my car was running fine when i came home from school
i got home ran in changed into clothes for work and left again and the car was running like crap(just like yesterday)

i dont know wat it is and wat to do

has this ever happened to anyone before??

its really starting to worry me tomorrow i'm buying everything for a compression test and i have a code puller i just need to learn how to use it

like i said i have found my leaking problems(anti-freeze is a bad seel at the thermostat and oil is a blown valve cover gasket)i was hopin to start working on the car after i got the body done

sorry for the complaining but this bothers me

First thing I'd do is check for codes with your code reader, its pretty straight-forward. I'd check the fuel pressure before worrying about compression for now. Does it seem to be down on power as well when this happens? It sounds to me like its running quite rich. It'll be easier to pinpoint if any codes come up.

Oh and I reaslised I made a false statement in my first post, a bad IAC will not change the idle when disconnected. Yours sounds like its working fine.

One last thought: check the voltage at the TPS (throttle position sensor) when the ignition is "on". If its above 1V it could be the problem. Its been a while but I think you have to back-probe the grey (ground) and black/green (output) wires. Whatever the colors, they are the two outside wires of the 3-wire connector. The middle one should be 5V input if I am not mistaken.

Let us know what you find

Just wondering does your car seem like it is down on power...meaning electrically? and does it get worse when you start hitting little bumps and stuff...If so I would just check the alternator wire running from the back of the alternator to the fuse box area...the wire might be burnt or such from a bad connection..This might not be it at all since I didnt have the white smoke but just an idea I guess.