Hey...new Here From San Jose, Ca

Frances

Jul 11, 2017
San Jose, CA
In Need of Major Help.....The engine of my 2001 Mustang Convertible GT 4.6 V8 blew, last October. (Metal shavings found in the oil) The car has been sitting collecting dirt since then. I love my Mustang and i don't want to get rid of it, But i have NO Idea where to even begin to look for a new engine for it, or if i should have it rebuilt. Not to mention money is tight right now, as it always is. Plus I need a car, and i want mine. Can anyone help give me some tips on how to start this whole process. I am a female surrounded by males that seem to not have a clue themselves...... I would appreciate it very much! Thanks :)

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet :)
I'm going to move your thread to the '96-04' section. Lot of helpful people there that can help you better than I can-but I'll still give you my opinion :D lol
Labor will probably be your biggest expense unless you have the ability/space/tools or a friend(s) / family members with the ability and tools.
id write down the VIN and call a few auto recycling yards,most of them are in a network of auto recyclers. They should be able to track you down a replacement used engine. Which will help keep your costs down

Welcome to Stangnet :)
I'm going to move your thread to the '96-04' section. Lot of helpful people there that can help you better than I can-but I'll still give you my opinion :D lol
Labor will probably be your biggest expense unless you have the ability/space/tools or a friend(s) / family members with the ability and tools.
id write down the VIN and call a few auto recycling yards,most of them are in a network of auto recyclers. They should be able to track you down a replacement used engine. Which will help keep your costs down

Thank you for your input. I actually did go to one recycling yard, but i just browsed and really i didn't even know what to exactly look for.(as far as engine in one piece etc..) Oh... also, i ran into a guy there that told me that i could use ANY ford engine in my car as long as it was the same size. Is that true?
Again Thanks for your time..:D

Hi Francis.

Go to the LKQ website and enter your car info there. It will show you some engines and prices of replacements so you have an idea of what to look for.

Rebuilding can get expensive...even more than a new in engine in some cases.

If $$'s are tight consider a salvage yard motor from a 2001+ Ford Panther class car. The Ford Panther models are Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car. There are TONS in the salvage yards. In general:
  • A motor from a Panther is likely to have led an easier life (assuming not in Police duty).
  • A motor from a Panther wont have a price premium that the Mustang will carry.
  • With the high cost of labor these days it's rarely cost effective to pay someone to rebuild a modular motor.
  • TONS of people have already done this swap (including myself).
  • The Panther motor is the SAME as the Mustang at the long block level. The differences are in the things bolted onto the motor.
  • It's not hard to convert a 4.6 modular motor with an external oil cooler to the Mustang's style oil filter adapter.
  • The last model year for the Crown Vic was 2011. Therefore it's quite possible to still get very late model salvage motors. Expect to pay a little more for a late model.
Do and don'ts:
  • Avoid any motor that was in Police service. These motors spend most of their life idling. Mileage is a poor indicator of true ware and tear.
  • Get the VIN number from the donor car and run a CarFax report. This will give the mileage at the time of the donor's wreck. This will give a way to cross check the honesty of the salvage yard. I glad I did this as several salvage yards that I contacted WAY understated the mileage on the motor.
  • LKQ and Car-part.com can be good sources for salvage yard motors in your area. The motor currently in my 2000 GT came from 2003 Grand Marquis via LKQ.
  • Choosing a motor from a 2003+ model year will get the updated heads with the increased spark plug threads. This reduces the chance of spark plug blow out.
  • Make sure that the donor motor is a PI Romeo. Do not accept an older non-PI as likely you will be unhappy with the results.
  • IF the replacement motor has over 100k miles, consider putting a new timing chain set on while on the engine stand. There will never be a better time to do this work than when the motor is already on the engine stand.
  • Take TONS of pictures before taking anything apart. Take pictures during the tear down.
I have done two motor swaps in my driveway using nothing but hand tools and a borrowed engine crane.

You can do this. However I recommend doing your homework before jumping into the deep end. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
If $$'s are tight consider a salvage yard motor from a 2001+ Ford Panther class car. The Ford Panther models are Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car. There are TONS in the salvage yards. In general:
  • A motor from a Panther is likely to have led an easier life (assuming not in Police duty).
  • A motor from a Panther wont have a price premium that the Mustang will carry.
  • With the high cost of labor these days it's rarely cost effective to pay someone to rebuild a modular motor.
  • TONS of people have already done this swap (including myself).
  • The Panther motor is the SAME as the Mustang at the long block level. The differences are in the things bolted onto the motor.
  • It's not hard to convert a 4.6 modular motor with an external oil cooler to the Mustang's style oil filter adapter.
  • The last model year for the Crown Vic was 2011. Therefore it's quite possible to still get very late model salvage motors. Expect to pay a little more for a late model.
Do and don'ts:
  • Avoid any motor that was in Police service. These motors spend most of their life idling. Mileage is a poor indicator of true ware and tear.
  • Get the VIN number from the donor car and run a CarFax report. This will give the mileage at the time of the donor's wreck. This will give a way to cross check the honesty of the salvage yard. I glad I did this as several salvage yards that I contacted WAY understated the mileage on the motor.
  • LKQ and Car-part.com can be good sources for salvage yard motors in your area. The motor currently in my 2000 GT came from 2003 Grand Marquis via LKQ.
  • Choosing a motor from a 2003+ model year will get the updated heads with the increased spark plug threads. This reduces the chance of spark plug blow out.
  • Make sure that the donor motor is a PI Romeo. Do not accept an older non-PI as likely you will be unhappy with the results.
  • IF the replacement motor has over 100k miles, consider putting a new timing chain set on while on the engine stand. There will never be a better time to do this work than when the motor is already on the engine stand.
  • Take TONS of pictures before taking anything apart. Take pictures during the tear down.
I have done two motor swaps in my driveway using nothing but hand tools and a borrowed engine crane.

You can do this. However I recommend doing your homework before jumping into the deep end. Good luck.

Wow! Just the amount of detailed information I needed, to get this thing rolling. Thank you so much for your feedback. :)

OBTW, on "possible" cause for metal shavings in the oil is from timing chain wear. This is a very common problem with 4.6 modular motors with over 140k miles. The timing chains stretch and the guides will wear and break. This allows the chains to rub the inside of the timing cover. It's easy to see how this could cause metal shaving in the oil.

FWIIW, I have direct experience with this. My Son's 2005 F150 stated running poorly. We found metal shavings in the oil. Upon removal of the front timing cover we found broken timing chain guides and large areas where the chain had scraped the metal from the inside of the timing cover.

This was a repairable problem! A new timing set later (yes this is a TON of work on a 3V motor!) the motor is still in DD service.

Bottom line. You may have a repairable motor on your hands! And it may not cost as much as you think to repair. Check out RockAuto.com. My Cloyes timing set was less than $160.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2394756&cc=1385636&jsn=502&jsn=502

Note, I recommend using the non locking version of this kit. The kind used on the 2003+ Grand Marquis.

I JUST finished putting a new timing set on my 2000 GT. I have all of the cam holding tools for the 2V SOHC motor. Maybe we could help each other.

Last edited:
In Need of Major Help.....The engine of my 2001 Mustang Convertible GT 4.6 V8 blew, last October. (Metal shavings found in the oil) The car has been sitting collecting dirt since then. I love my Mustang and i don't want to get rid of it, But i have NO Idea where to even begin to look for a new engine for it, or if i should have it rebuilt. Not to mention money is tight right now, as it always is. Plus I need a car, and i want mine. Can anyone help give me some tips on how to start this whole process. I am a female surrounded by males that seem to not have a clue themselves...... I would appreciate it very much! Thanks :)

Hi, just for starters, You're in California, famous for our clean air rules, smog check, ( B S ) you'll need to stick with a engine, about same year or close so your car comply's with our smog laws. another thought, buy your engine from small town wrecker, as San Jose and Bay Area are high dollar areas. I live in Oakdale,(little town) Try Oakdale Auto wreckers, Charlie is owner, mention Mustang Harry asked you to contact him, it may help lower the price, also Waterford Auto wreckers, prices are much better up here. Ask if they will install also. I have restored early Mustangs since moving here from Fremont in 1977. I own 15 mustangs now but, my 1989 Saleen conv. is latest I've owned ever. Hope this helps, good luck.

Attachments

• saleen3.JPG
    saleen3.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 177
  • kingcobra.JPG
    kingcobra.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCN1055.JPG
    DSCN1055.JPG
    534.8 KB · Views: 214
Hi, just for starters, You're in California, famous for our clean air rules, smog check, ( B S ) you'll need to stick with a engine, about same year or close so your car comply's with our smog laws. another thought, buy your engine from small town wrecker, as San Jose and Bay Area are high dollar areas. I live in Oakdale,(little town) Try Oakdale Auto wreckers, Charlie is owner, mention Mustang Harry asked you to contact him, it may help lower the price, also Waterford Auto wreckers, prices are much better up here. Ask if they will install also. I have restored early Mustangs since moving here from Fremont in 1977. I own 15 mustangs now but, my 1989 Saleen conv. is latest I've owned ever. Hope this helps, good luck.

15!!! WOW!!!! You can use newer engines but you must pass smog for the year of the engine, no you cannot put a 289 from a '65 and pass smog for that, it must be the same or newer. I believe you would have to take it to the referee each time for smogging though if memory serves me.