HF spot weld driller-outter thinger

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
15 Year Member
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
Yeah, that's the technical term.

Anyway, I'm dreaming up another crackpot idea. Im gonna need to drill about 50-ish spotwelds. I know a few of you have used this tool. How many welds did it last for? How many should I buy? It's an hour trip to HF and back and I would rather not have to repeat the trip.

P.S. I gave up on the Texans game and went to the garage to do something productive - drink beer and ponder, hence the idea.

• Sponsors (?)

Most come with a few double ended cutters. Meaning you can flip it like a double ended drill bit. If you are careful one will do 30-50 spot welds. Sometimes I break one on its first use. They are hard and break EASY. Make sure you center punch, spin them slow and ease it into the weld. The thing is they jump and break. If you go slow and allow it to make a circle you can then stand on it. Hope this helps. (over 3 gobzillion spot welds drilled)

Reactions: 1 user
I also have one form hf. Like gearheadboy said take it slow until you get a nice hole made but i would still keep it slow because heat kills bits! I would get two of them however i only bought one and replaced a core support with it and im in the process of mounting seat belt brackets on my gt and just used mine the other day. So they hold up fairly well i did break a tooth off of one side of mine but i've prolly drilled 150+ welds with it so far. The center punch is KEY!!!! make sure u have a nice dimple before u start to drill

Reactions: 1 user
The things have never worked for me. HF pieces have never been the longest lasting of anything I own (although I do own a garage full of that junk) I just put a regular drill bit and bore through the whole panel. Besides, I usually use the hole to re-weld the new panel through.