HID Flicker with stereo

jaredgoodwin

Sep 29, 2004
I have read about people having problems with their HIDs when they turn the car on. My problem is different. I have bi-xenon headlights (4 ballasts) and h3 fogs (2 ballasts) wired up with 3 relays in my car. The only time my HIDs flicker are when I crank the stereo up, they flicker with the bass. This seems to be a different problem than most of the others I have read about. Any ideas? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds to me as though the electrical system is overloaded. Does your present battery pass a load test? Is your present alternator output within specs? If the answer to those to questions is "Yes" then you probably need a more powerful battery and/or alternator.

Update: It only does it on the low beams. I read somewhere else that the low beams are controlled by the smart junction box and that this power is "dirty". Anyone know anything about this? At first I thought my electrical system may be overloaded, but I would think my high beams and fogs would do it to then.

Go to a audio installer and have them set you up with a capacitor. This cap will store energy for your stereo so when that bass hits, the amps will take the extra power they require from the cap instead of drawing down your whole electrical system.