Engine High AFR 5.0 Help!

Fourfourty

Jun 2, 2020
Germany
Hey,
I’m from Germany and hope you can help me.
I have a stock 1988 5.0HO T5WC and i have issues with my afr. It’s pretty lean around 17. I checked the vakuum lines and the exhaust for leaks, but there are none. Engine code was 21 which is coolant temp out of range. I changed my coolant temp sensor but still bad afr. Don’t know how old the o2 sensors are... you guys can help me?

Another question:
When i look for wiring plans for the coolant temp sensor, they always have two wires, but i only have one wire going to the sensor and none going to the self service plug. Do i have a Europe model which is maybe different in wiring or why do i have just one wire? (Car is a 1988 5.0HO T5WC)

Thanks for your answers
Danny

• Sponsors (?)

Show us a pick of the top of the engine and point to what you are calling the 'temp sensor' , I suspect you are looking at the temp sender,
How long have you owned the car?
Have you checked fuel pressure?

Here are two pics of what i call temperature sensor.
I have the car now for half a year and no i haven’t check fuel pressure yet.

Attachments

• 27FE2B17-46F7-4886-8A20-F812E224065C.jpeg
    27FE2B17-46F7-4886-8A20-F812E224065C.jpeg
    491.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 55EBE2D8-4493-4684-A9DD-917CEA29823B.jpeg
    55EBE2D8-4493-4684-A9DD-917CEA29823B.jpeg
    382 KB · Views: 115
Check fuel pressure, I doubt the ect will effect afr after warm up.
Here is a checklist that may help you:

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your help
I will buy some new o2 sensors and a new ect sensor.
Today I saw that my steering reck is leaking. I have already tried ones to seal it but it only lasts 2 weeks. Do you guys can tell me which steering rack from rock auto is good?

No i sprayed brake cleaner on the intake and the vacuum lines too see if the idle goes up or not.
And i dont know how much vacuum my engine ist pulling at idle.
On the odometer are 56.000miles.

get a vacuum gauge and hook it up to an intake source. Without that you are guessing. You should be pulling 15 at idle on a stock motor

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Hey Guy’s
I replaced the ect sensor and both o2 sensors but still running way to lean.
When I read out the codes of the car, it says that there is an issue with the MAP... can the MAP effect my afr?
But this code only was ones. I checked again 15min later and then was everything ok

I checked my afr today again and its still 24.99
Hope you can give me some tips on how to solve this problem.

Danny

what is the code you are getting for the map?
did you reset the computer after changing sensors?
what are you using to check afr?
I was at a friend of mine and he told me to check if the „airpump“ which is blowing air in the exhaust system while cold starts is still on when the car is warm up.
So I check it and yes it is still running when the car is warm up.
Tomorrow I will check my afr again and cut the connection from the „air pump“ to the exhaust system. Pretty sure the afr will be ok.
I go to a car repair shop they have an afr tester which is verified.
Yes I disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer and the code was 22, but it only show up once.
Thanks for your quick answer.

The smog pump sends air after the O2 sensors. It won't affect air/fuel ratios.

What is the engine reading for vacuum?
After I take of the smog pump my afr was around 16 still a bit lean but better like before.
Next problem is the warm start issue
The engine is dying right after start up I have to let it rev around 700 rpm for 1 or 2 minutes till it idles on its own.