HIGH OIL PRESSURE....

HIGDON

Nov 2, 2003
Ft. Hood, TX
I just went back out for a sping in my newly modified pwnie and noticed the oil pressure was riding up in the A in NORMAL. It usually hangs out in the R-M area and the oil was changed just last week. Anyone got any ideas? Could "something" be caught in my oil filter causing this? (hopefully nothing like chuncks of metal, LOL) It's really bugging me.....

• Sponsors (?)

I have a problem too but with LOW oil pressure. When I cold start the car, the oil pressure will drop off from normal to low and sit there until I rev the car up a bit. Then it levels out and as the revs fall, pressure drops again. If I take the car around the block and it starts to warm up, the pressure will move back and be fine.

It started after I did my oil change. Using 5 quarts Mobil 1 5W-30 Synth w/ Motorcraft filter. This was my first time doing the oil change on this car. I just bought it like 3 weeks ago, only put 1-2k miles on it.

No oil leaks, oil is full to the max line. Oil was overfilled about a half quart to a quart when I dumped it and had some metal flecks in it. Car runs super, pulls hard, only has 23k miles on it. NO weird noises at all. No idea what's up and it's out of warranty I think :(

If anyone knows whats up please help! Going to make a new thread for this too.

Here's a video of it (in divx). The video is kind of dark, but you can see the gauges good enough: http://www.vacation-rental-source.com/chris/wtf_oil.avi

vidmaster said:
...Here's a video of it (in divx). The video is kind of dark, but you can see the gauges good enough: http://www.vacation-rental-source.com/chris/wtf_oil.avi ...

That's odd, if everything else is up to par (oil level is OK), it's probably just a faulty oil pressure sending unit. The factory oil pressure sending units are essentially a 6psi open or closed switch, so if you really had no oil pressure at all, you would definately know it because once you get below 6psi of pressure it's already too late - damage would be done! LOL
I noticed in your vid that you ran the gauge cluster diagnostics for your engine RPM readout - have you thought about selecting the oil pressure readout to verify if the oil pressure is being read or not? Give it a try!

Have the factory sending unit replaced, or better yet, purchase an oil pressure gauge (such as Autometer) to give you a true oil pressure reading.

I heard they didn't change to 6 quarts until 2002. Manual even says 5 quarts. I think that's the mistake whoever filled my oil last time made and they overfilled it a quart.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to replace the sending unit tomorrow after work.