HiPo or not?

Detector

Dec 12, 2004
I bought a new project pony, a 1965 coupe C code, that someone has put a 6 cylinder in when it was originally a 289 v2. So I put an add in Craig's List looking for a 289 and I get a cal from a 70 year old guy who says he has several and one is a 66 HiPo. I was more interested in a 1964 289 with only 65,000 miles but thought what the heck I'll bargain on both. He also told me the HiPo now had a 2 barrel manifold he put on years ago for better gas mileage, and that it used to have a dual point distributor but he took it out and put it on a falcon. He says he has the manifold and it's an aluminum 4 barrel that says FORD on it.

Well I ended up giving him $500 for 3 motors, yup he had another clean looking one I couldn't pass up, and the manifold. My nephew went down and got them for me. I got them back last night and looking over the "HiPo" it sure looks to be the real thing from what I know and can see. Here is some pictures. What do you think?

Has the 289 cast with two dots not one and you can see it is screw in studs.

head1.jpg

head4.jpg

Has the cast number 20 in the corner of the head and you can see the spring pockets.

head3.jpg

It has the thick harmonic balancer that measures 1.75"

harmbal1.jpg

harmbal2.jpg

The intake.

intake1.jpg

My new 1965 project.

65drside.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

It actually does look like a HIPO. It has the valve spring seats, screw in studs and balancer.
This is the first "HiPo" Ive seen that actually appears to be a HiPO.

Looks like it would be a waste to put in my C code 65 coupe. Once I check all the numbers, and bottom end, I might see about having it rebuilt and sell/trade it for a better project. I like my 65 coupe but it needs some serious body work and I'm going to get a lot of money wrapped up in it real quick. I'd rather put it on the back burner and work on it little at a time and find a more complete project.

Putting it back to original configuration wouldn't be too hard. You'd need an intake, carb, air cleaner, distributor, and valve covers.

If you're planning to use it, you'll need a flywheel. Only problem with that is the 289HP wheels were the same ones used on 289 2V and 289 4V engines, but instead of the usual 28.2 oz imbalance, the 289HP wheel was balanced to 30.4 oz.

I pulled the pan last night and I'm still confused. It has the crank weightbob, it has the polished point on the most aft counterweight used to check nodular levels met specs, it has the 3/8" rod bolts, but the caps don't look right.

Block numbers.

blocknum1.jpg

Weightbob.

crankbob.jpg

polished aft counterweight.

crankend.jpg

Caps.

crankmains.jpg