Ho long do aftermarket exhaust parts last?

shallowreef

Nov 3, 2005
illinois
I mean cats and mufflers? I think my mufflers are on there way out and my cats are throwing codes.

The mufflers are 3 years old and the cats are 2 years old.

How long do they last? Do they need to be replaced ever?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure what the code is exactly i have it on the service ticket at home i think. I tried disconnecting the battery before to get rid of the check engine light but it came back on like 2 days later. It use to be on for like a week and then go off for and it was the cats then too.

I started getting #153 a couple of months after adding my bassani w/cats.
It would come and go like yours. I replaced the 2 front O2 sensors and changed back to my stock cai w/K&N instead of the MAC cai. After 1 month no light.
The stock H-pipe has the O2 sensors right in the 1st cat so they heat up
faster than high flow cats.

I'm planning on pulling the cats out soon anyways and running straight pipes and mil eliminators so that should end the problem right away.

The reasn i ask about the mufflers is that i think they sound a little rattley instead of that deep throat sound that i remember them having when i first put them on. So i was wondering if they might be shot. People tell me that my car sounds good but i just don't like that little bit of tinny rattle that i hear.

I've got a flow master exhaust and my left muffler starter to rattle about 3 months ago, it's driving me crazy. I need to find a part # for it so I can have it replaced. 40k miles and it's done....:mad: I thought they had a million mile warranty, I guess I'll have to look into that.....:shrug:

My SLP aren't rusting they just don't sound as good anymore. Once i hear how loud my car is once i pull the cats i am going to debate either going with LM2s again or Powerflos. I know for a fact that LM1s on a O/R X-pipe do not sound good at all. way to crackley and poppey.