Digital Tuning Holley EFI vs factory EEC

88LX5.Oh

15 Year Member
Dec 30, 2011
Arkansas
First off, sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong area. I've been away from forums for probably longer than I've let my car sit which is an embarrassingly amount of time. But probably like most of you, this quarantine thing has me bored out of my mind and I'm itching to pick up old projects. Plus I've made a career change, I'm now working on aircraft so I haven't had my fix of auto mechanics in a long time.

With that being said, I'm considering putting one of Holley's EFI systems on my car to rid it of some problems/complications I had that ultimately burned me out on the project. After converting to MAF, I had tons of drivability issues. I would pull codes and get 15 which indicates KAM issues internal to EEC or wiring. Tested at pin 1 and got 12v dc constant so that told me that my computer was bad. Buying yet another reman computer from the parts store would be my cheaper option no doubt, but these cars are getting so old that I'm worried I'd just be chasing all sorts of issues over the car. So, has anyone here swapped to a Holley (or other brand) aftermarket injection systems and have you had good luck with them?

• Sponsors (?)

Fix the factory stuff or go ms. The holley stuff is for retro fitting an old carb car. Just my opinion.
You know a GOOD source for reman EEC's then? Have had bad luck with auto parts stores. The one for my car, as stated, has issues. And I've had 4 bad units over the last decade for my Bronco. Capacitors always leaking and board circuitry issues.

You are seriously out of the loop. Holley is dominating the market now. MS is old news.

Kurt
Not really
Seriously, which loop? The one that goes right or left?
Ok, yeah, the only one I have any brief knowledge of is the one that used the 4 barrel looking throttle body.
I guess I need to do more googlefu and get into the loop.
Now was that right or left loop? :jester:

While the megasquirt set up has always intrigued me, I have zero desire to spend a lot of time data logging and tuning. That's why the factory set up or a self tuning set up would be ideal.

At the end of the day, I would love to just buy a new factory EEC to engine harness and new EEC. I'm afraid 17 year old me did a hack job on my MAF conversion so a new harness and EEC would just give me peace of mind.

Not really
Seriously, which loop? The one that goes right or left?
Ok, yeah, the only one I have any brief knowledge of is the one that used the 4 barrel looking throttle body.
I guess I need to do more googlefu and get into the loop.
Now was that right or left loop? :jester:

All I hear about now is Holley. It is more advanced, and requires far less tuning. Now the Terminator is in the same price range as the Megasquirt. I can't argue with the ease of the MS plugging right into the factory harness.

Kurt

Holley owns everything, so they have a mass marketing campaign.. that is why you hear about them everywhere they have the money to throw around

personally I like to buy from US companies when I can

Reactions: 3 users
Just for the record...

It's [always] a good time to work on airplanes.

It is :poo:-azz airlines I won't work for and if there are any airline maintenance staffers that happen to read this:

I have more than 30 years of experience on heavy aircraft with zero mishaps, more time in formal aeronautics education that your highest hour pilots, and you all can eat a #$&@^.

Sorry, please resume your regular programming. :jester:

Just for the record...

It is :poo:-azz airlines I won't work for and if there are any airline maintenance staffers that happen to read this:

I have more than 30 years of experience on heavy aircraft with zero mishaps, more time in formal aeronautics education that your highest hour pilots, and you all can eat a #$&@^.

As a former licensed FAA A&P, I will tell you there are other jobs that pay well and do not carry the sames risk/responsibility level. I still have an Airframe and Powerplant license, but it is inactive and has been for over 41 years.

I have made more money in computer service with better employers than I ever did as an A&P. The US Air Force doesn't know about or care about you having an A&P and general aviation has more crooks and thieves than the used car business. I could tell you more about the pitfalls , but I will run out of time to tell the story of my misadventures as an A&P mechanic....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As a former licensed FAA A&P, I will tell you there are other jobs that pay well and do not carry the sames risk/responsibility level. I still have an Airframe and Powerplant license, but it is inactive and has been for over 41 years.

I have made more money in computer service with better employers than I ever did as an A&P. The US Air Force doesn't know about or care about you having an A&P and general aviation has more crooks and thieves than the used car business. I could tell you more about the pitfalls , but I will run out of time to tell the story of my misadventures as an A&P mechanic....

*much stuff typed here and then removed*

Yeah... long discussion for another thread. LoL Airline mechs need a guild.

Just for the record...

Pratt & Whitney controls engineer.
P&W F100 & F135 engines.