Holly Terminator X or Megasquirt

SFR

Apr 12, 2021
Sudbury, MA
Hi All -
I know this has been discussed and I have read the threads but would like more opinions/real world experience.

Trying to decide on either Terminator or MS.
I‘m Ok replacing the the wiring harness if I decide on the Terminator.

Specifically, wondering which is better and widely supported (by tuners and company’s tech support).
I’m old school so have been using Holly products since the 80’s...so know they have good products and support.

Not familiar with MS - how is the product and support.
Given the two, which one would’ve you chose and why?

My goal is to have a ‘nice running engine‘ - it’s in a 1976 Bronco.

My setup is pretty mild:
- GT 40p heads, GT40 upper and lower Intake, 1.72 lift rockers, stock cam, 24# injectors with matching MAF (C&L 76mm) And headers.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

In a setup that mild why not just run the stock ECU?

The MS vs Holley debate boils down to which one of each unit? a 350 MS entry level ecu should not be compared to a sequential fire ecu at 4x the cost.

Really it boils down to familiarity, I like the MS platforms because I am very familiar with them. They do everything [MS3] I could think of and then some, more if you can write your own code for .ini files...

Holley has the support, they are a HUGE corporation that own more than half the companies... The terminator is very simplistic and not as easy as some think they are to work with, alot of the needed settings are locked away to keep it easy to use for a beginner [just my opinion from tuning a few, they do work nice]

Reactions: 1 user
I changed from MS to Holley Terminator X .. first tune and first drive ..and this is to good to be true...Car runs great from beginning...Idle is like a rock and system seems to work perfect ..... but yes ..install needs some time to do it right and it needs to be tuned ... you cant drive ..out of the Box .. its not a real Plug n Play ..but there are also a lot of helpfull videos en utube....take your time and watch it !!! nothing wrong with MS but today ..the Holley Terminator seems to be the way to go ...??!!

I’m looking at running a Terminator x on my 2000 GT 2V. There are A LOT of videos on YouTube and the Holley Tx looks very simplistic to use. The best feature I have watched and read about is the ECUs ability to learn in the background. thoughts….

I’m looking at running a Terminator x on my 2000 GT 2V. There are A LOT of videos on YouTube and the Holley Tx looks very simplistic to use. The best feature I have watched and read about is the ECUs ability to learn in the background. thoughts….
The ecu calls it learning . In reality it’s trimming like a stock ecu. You need a good tune to be close for it to shine . Relying on it to self tune is not the way to go and is my only gripe with holleys advertising . I have had a HP in my car since 17

IF you want the closest to true plug and play go with the PRO M. You cannot compare the quality, fitment and ease of install. Downside is Chris is THE support and not many people tune it- but honestly that is for reason in that it doesn't need it like the Holley. IMO the stock EEC and a good tune is enough for most builds. Personally I don't see what the hopla is about the Holley system- you need to re use wiring from the stock harness for your A/C .airbag, and other components for them to work and 90% of the people then go and need to get it tuned anyway to dial it in. If you go onto the Terminator boards you are seeing post after post about poor quality control on the harnesses and months to wait for delivery. I think when you factor in the cost of it $1500 or so. then add in the sensors, A/C harness,. and then additional tuning you are well over $2000.

just my 2 cents

IF you want the closest to true plug and play go with the PRO M. You cannot compare the quality, fitment and ease of install. Downside is Chris is THE support and not many people tune it- but honestly that is for reason in that it doesn't need it like the Holley. IMO the stock EEC and a good tune is enough for most builds. Personally I don't see what the hopla is about the Holley system- you need to re use wiring from the stock harness for your A/C .airbag, and other components for them to work and 90% of the people then go and need to get it tuned anyway to dial it in. If you go onto the Terminator boards you are seeing post after post about poor quality control on the harnesses and months to wait for delivery. I think when you factor in the cost of it $1500 or so. then add in the sensors, A/C harness,. and then additional tuning you are well over $2000.

just my 2 cents
You only replace the engine harness thats it - As you do with any aftermarket standalone besides the plug and play stuff . The allure is the fact that you aren’t dealing with a 28 plus year old engine harness . My holley - I tied into my fuel pump trigger wire at the relay under my seat . Any additional wiring is for stuff you plan on adding that’s it’s capable of doing or controlling .

Now I’ll admit since the terminators the harnesses haven’t been what they were when I bought mine .

They are still light years better then having an old harness as long as you’re willing to go over it quickly to make sure it’s all good.

Next thing is - of course all you hear is complaints on a terminator. The price point draws in a crowd that may have not gone for a stand alone otherwise and expects it to just be magic . It isn’t .

None of them are . Also when they are selling that many of them there is bound to be complaining .
Look up MS complaints and you’ll find plenty as well.

With that said I have personally been involved with 3 different terminator setups including first starts and they are all running around flawlessly. 2 Ford based 4.6 single turbo and 347 T trim car , one LS motor car that’s getting a blower . I’m in the process of doing a 4150 stealth on a big block olds as well .

Any of the setups including the pro m would need to be tuned considering the fact I’d you’re making the jump your setup is far beyond what a stock processor will do .