Holy frayed injector leads Batman!

Zero Signal

Feb 24, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Well since I was already re-building the factory starter/power harness I figured I would yank the injector harness to inspect it. Well I found 3 injector leads that looked like this one :shrug: They were actually touching so I bet that might have been a contributor to my chronic lean problem, funny sounding idle and occasional hesitation/sputtering, but we shall see about that. Some of the sensor plugs had frayed wires as well.

As far as I can tell, it's all a matter of deterioration. The wire sheathing is literally flaking off in chunks; so I went ahead and fixed them all with liquid electric tape and ScotchKote. I had to do some invasive surgery on the cable to take care of it, but it wasn't too hard. I'd encourage anyone who has their intake plenum off to take a good look at this thing. It might be a can-o-worms but better than ignoring it.

View attachment 485892

Here is the new power/starter/ground harness I'm so proud of :D all weather proofed and sporting new high quality cable from Merles!

View attachment 485894

• Sponsors (?)

John, nice find. THat was how my alternator wiring harness from the t-stat housing over (toward the alt) looked. Right at the plug, all the wires' insulation was chafed off. The rest of it was vulcanized (even the loom came off in chunks that flew 20 feet across the garage. I almost put eye protection on to get the loom off).

The new harness is lookin good. :nice:

THat was how my alternator wiring harness from the t-stat housing over (toward the alt) looked. Right at the plug, all the wires' insulation was chafed off. The rest of it was vulcanized (even the loom came off in chunks that flew 20 feet across the garage. I almost put eye protection on to get the loom off).

Yeah I'm re-doing that one this weekend. That will be the easy one luckily. And yeah that stuff is lethal, I actually did get a small piece in my eye :owned:

I didnt do a big overhaul like John is, so I just did some splices/extensions when I got the new alt regulator plug.
Me thinks he is redoing large sections with some Ford connectors (maybe from FFI, et al) where needed.

I didn't buy a new alt harness, just stripped all the loom and electrical tape from it to put on new flexible stuff and new end connections. The wire itself was in good shape but the ends were corroded. I looked at all the plugs too, they were all in perfect condition, just some old dilectric grease built up, so I cleaned them all up and they were good to go. I also cleaned all my grounds with the Dremel tool and soft stone, then coated them all to prevent corrosion.

As for re-building the injector harness. . . be extremely thorough when documenting how it goes together. What I would do if I were you 69Clark, is lay the thing down on a clean sheet of wood, take some pics of it and trace out where everything is to avoid messing up how it goes together.

My starter harness didn't go back together perfectly so it really took some stretching to get it all to fit right. I wish I had done what I described above. All I did was draw a little picture with a couple dimensions and took some pics, it wasn't enough.