Home theater packages,, educate me

1993SSP

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
Ky
Whats the best bang for the buck? I have been looking at some systems, mainly yamaha and harman kardon on www.tigerdirect.com, but it has been so long since I have bought any electronic stuff the changes overwhelm me! I really want a system that will sound absolutely awesome with movies as well as cd's, my old kenwood stuff has about had it after 15 years of use, I am quite sure it is outdated. I have directv and plan on upgrading to a LCD tv of some sort in the near future so any recommendations on that would be helpful as well, will be looking at 42 inch or larger on the tv as well.

Just keep budget in mind, I wouldnt want to spend no more than 2 grand on everything including the TV, would rather stay in the $1500 range :)

• Sponsors (?)

$2000 for everything plus the TV?? I don't think you are gonna find you can do that. A decent 42" or larger TV is going to run you $1500 or more. A 50" will be over $2000 alone.

Add on $500 or more for a decent 5.1 surround sound system and $400 for a PS3 to play DVD's and Blu-ray and you really need $3000-4000 for a decent home setup including TV mount and HDMI cables and misc items.

My setup cost me close to $4000 :(