• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Fox Hood decisions

  • Thread starter Thread starter GreyMare88
  • Start date Start date Nov 1, 2020
G

GreyMare88

Member
Jan 30, 2019
69
2
18
Statesboro, GA
Nov 1, 2020
#1
  • Nov 1, 2020
  • #1
I just upgraded my intake to the GT40 Explorer and I'm not using any spacers but my old hood is bent a little from flying up a few years ago so my question is that a stock hood should work with that setup or go ahead and get a fiberglass or steel cowl style one?
 

HemiRick

I'd be looking at jacking under the house
Jun 28, 2020
723
272
73
Memphis TN
Nov 1, 2020
#2
  • Nov 1, 2020
  • #2
Stock hood works fine w Explorer intake....Mine just rubs a little on the hood pad with a spacer.
 
G

GreyMare88

Member
Jan 30, 2019
69
2
18
Statesboro, GA
Nov 1, 2020
#3
  • Nov 1, 2020
  • #3
HemiRick said:
Stock hood works fine w Explorer intake....Mine just rubs a little on the hood pad with a spacer.
Click to expand...
Cool; I'm going to add pins to it because I was lucky to be going at a low speed when it came up....appreciate the reply.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,338
18,068
224
Massachusetts
Nov 1, 2020
#4
  • Nov 1, 2020
  • #4
Mine fit fine with stock hood and 3/8” spacer, but engine mounts matter. Some sit higher than others
 
Reactions: fun331

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Nov 1, 2020
#5
  • Nov 1, 2020
  • #5
The downside to fiberglass is that it is generally accepted that it should have pins in it.

Kurt
 
Reactions: GreyMare88
W

Werecow91

Member
Jul 11, 2020
39
15
18
Wise, Virginia
Nov 1, 2020
#6
  • Nov 1, 2020
  • #6
Question since hoods are up here... (pun intended) I've got a 90LX that I'm planning on getting a Trufiber 3" Cobra R SVO hood for mine, so yup, planning on the hood pins, safety latch all that, my question is, does anyone have any experience with one of these or any fiberglass hoods and the strut type hood lifts? Ya know, the hydraulic types so you can ditch the dorky hood stick for holding up your hood that gets in the way all the time??
 
G

GreyMare88

Member
Jan 30, 2019
69
2
18
Statesboro, GA
Nov 1, 2020
#7
  • Nov 1, 2020
  • #7
Mustang5L5 said:
Mine fit fine with stock hood and 3/8” spacer, but engine mounts matter. Some sit higher than others
Click to expand...
I added the Energy Suspension urethane mounts when the engine was rebuilt in '05 but the only thing I saw was rubbing was the EGR tube on the TB spacer so I think I'm okay.
 
G

GreyMare88

Member
Jan 30, 2019
69
2
18
Statesboro, GA
Nov 1, 2020
#8
  • Nov 1, 2020
  • #8
Werecow91 said:
Question since hoods are up here... (pun intended) I've got a 90LX that I'm planning on getting a Trufiber 3" Cobra R SVO hood for mine, so yup, planning on the hood pins, safety latch all that, my question is, does anyone have any experience with one of these or any fiberglass hoods and the strut type hood lifts? Ya know, the hydraulic types so you can ditch the dorky hood stick for holding up your hood that gets in the way all the time??
Click to expand...
I was looking at that same one but the hood struts I seen was on American Muscle and Ebay seemed to be good but you have to measure where to drill the holes for your brackets and mount them up.
 

nickyb

I gotta say i never painted my nuts, Never Ever
15 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
3,026
1,658
163
nevada
Nov 1, 2020
#9
  • Nov 1, 2020
  • #9
I've got the hood struts on mine, easy enough install with measuring and drilling.They work great on stock hood,now depending on how stout the fiberglass hood is it could crack.call the hood company for suggestions.
 
Reactions: Werecow91 and revhead347
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Project Fox Revival (please send help)
  • sleep-e
  • Jan 21, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
301
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 22, 2026
KRUISR
S
Preparation for Holley Terminator X install – Foxbody 306 (electrical fan, alternator, MSD Ignition, etc)
  • So_Flo
  • Mar 1, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
22
Views
3K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 4, 2026
General karthief
Engine Catch Can or not?
  • R82148V
  • Mar 4, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
9
Views
424
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Mar 6, 2026
ctandc
C
D
Fuel pump upgrade
  • dkrupp79
  • Jul 7, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
309
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 10, 2025
Scrapla347
P
Fox Opinions Wanted- at a crossroad with my '88 GT
  • pindude80
  • Apr 18, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
32
Views
2K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 22, 2025
pindude80
P
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?