Hood Delima

I needed extra hood clearance when I installed the 351W with a Stealth intake. I unfortunatly purchased a wavy crappy Shelby-style hood from Ebay for $275.00. That hood top had sepreated from the base and has disentergrated into 4 pieces on the highway. I have since refiberglassed the hood back together and it now fits even worse.

These are my three choices going forward:
1) Try to work with the existing fiberglass hood to get it to fit better, but then will have to buy better hood locks for stability and very time consuming.

2)Use my steel hood and change my intake to a Performer intake but will lose some power from the Stealth and will still have to buy a low profile air cleaner
as well as intake.

3)Use my steel hood and intall a 69 Mach hoodscoop. I am not sure if this combination will work because the intake really has a rise to it.

Your thoughts or experience??

• Sponsors (?)

There's another option...look into a cowl hood. They'll improve performance over the forward facing '60s style sccops (Shelby or Boss) and give more than enough room. I do not think you can cut a big enough hole in the steel hood to clear a round air cleaner AND cover the hole with a Mach 1 scoop, maybe a Boss429 scoop like Bullitt has but not the regular '69 scoop. I have less than 0.25 inch of clearance with my 67 Shelby shorty hood on a 67 with 351W too.

A few clarifying questions:

Are you running a carb spacer?
Are you running a drop base air filter?
Are you running a 2 inch filter element?

I see no reason for everything to NOT fit under the hood unless you are running a spacer, a standard filter base, and/or a tall filter. The stealth intake is not a high hise intake so a correct spacer, base, and filter combo just needs to be played with to get it under the hood.

Now if you want for other reasons aside from just to clear you filters that is a different story.

I used to have 67fb with a 351w all under the hood with no problems
I currently have a 65 FB with a radical 408c stroker...all under the hood with no problems.