Hood won't unlatch

EOMFD

Nov 15, 2018
Oregon
I just bought a Foxbody and I'm having trouble unlatching the hood with the hood release. The previous owner said he had to completely remove the latch assembly to get it open. I reassembled it and greased it up with some white lithium grease and I still have the issue. Also the hood sits a little too low in the front on the drivers side. I was wondering is that just bad alignment or is something bent? I took some pictures of the latch assembly and how the latch cable is routed. I was hoping one of you could let me know if you see anything that's off, or had any pointers on how to get the hood to work. Thanks in advance.
20181115_143149.jpg
20181115_143140.jpg
20181115_143129.jpg
20181115_143116.jpg

The black cable running along the fender is the hood latch cable. Is that the correct location for it? It's just kinda laying there. Also if you need to see anything closer let me know and I'll take more pictures.

Attachments

• 20181115_142957.jpg
    20181115_142957.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 295
  • Sponsors (?)

* thinks to himself....." Don't be a dick,...don't be a dick, don't be a dick......."

Cmon man! It's a hood latch. Probably the simplest contraption on the car. If the thing is set too low, then yes, the hood will appear to also be low. And it'll never release.
While the hood is open, take a screwdriver, and force the jaws closed like they would be when holding the hood. Pull the release lever. If it opens correctly, it'll literally snap open. If it doesnt, make sure it's clean and properly lubed and keep working it till it does.
If it don't, get a new one.
If it works properly open, Readjust the thing way too high and close the hood.
If it works there, then you know it was adjusted way too low, and way too tightly closed.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
As far as the hood sitting too low on the drivers side, your pictures tell the tale on that. In your second picture you can see the bump stop on the passenger side. In your third picture, clearly it shows the bump stop for the drivers side is missing. It should be fixed into the rectangle hole seen in the third picture. Without a bump stop on the drivers side, the hood would sink lower on that side. The bump stops are also adjustable. So once you get the missing one installed you can adjust both sides if needed for hood alignment. I suppose that if one of the bump stops is missing as in your case, and the hood is way low on one side, that might affect the proper function of the latch as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
The hood latch cables get frozen up too.

This should be a simple fix for you. Disconnect the cable from the latch and be sure it works first. If that's good, odds are your cable has taken a crap. Neither item is an expensive replacement.

Plus I agree with John's call on the bump stop. Another cheap easy replacement.