How bad is the flaming river manual rack install?

• Sponsors (?)

i know alittle im doing it now. i also have a tubular kemember it mine went right it i still need to get my custom shaft hooked up but make sure u got the new bushings and tighten and put the cotter pins in the tie rod ends dont want a wheel flying off

Hey yall, I read here that you guys just installed a rack eh?

I did so myself but am having a super pita time with the shaft. 86 GT Convertible, Rack went in withou ta hitch, manual rack setup -- put the ujoint on the splined portion of the rack, fits fine, put the flat stock in the ujoint, fits fine, put the next ujoint on -- fits fine.. put the next piece of flatstock with the 'point' on the end, fits fine, but when i go to put it into my steering column end, it dont fit. Its as if it is slightly too thick, maybe rust binding it up in there?

ANy ideas? Im pretty sure the hole on the pointed flat stock has to line up with the stock steering column hole for the bolt to go thru? (at least thats how the stock shaft was connected) Now I'm scratchin my head and half the metal piece on the stock column is shoved back into the passenger compartment from me tryin to whack in the flaming river piece into it with a deadblow.

I know what I said sounds confusing but I'm sure anyone who has installed a kit with the shaft on a foxbody knows what i'm talking about.

Please help!

-G

andrewsg said:
Hey yall, I read here that you guys just installed a rack eh?

I did so myself but am having a super pita time with the shaft. 86 GT Convertible, Rack went in withou ta hitch, manual rack setup -- put the ujoint on the splined portion of the rack, fits fine, put the flat stock in the ujoint, fits fine, put the next ujoint on -- fits fine.. put the next piece of flatstock with the 'point' on the end, fits fine, but when i go to put it into my steering column end, it dont fit. Its as if it is slightly too thick, maybe rust binding it up in there?

ANy ideas? Im pretty sure the hole on the pointed flat stock has to line up with the stock steering column hole for the bolt to go thru? (at least thats how the stock shaft was connected) Now I'm scratchin my head and half the metal piece on the stock column is shoved back into the passenger compartment from me tryin to whack in the flaming river piece into it with a deadblow.

I know what I said sounds confusing but I'm sure anyone who has installed a kit with the shaft on a foxbody knows what i'm talking about.

Please help!

-G

Anyone???