How can I tell if my Oxygen Sensors have gone bad?

FastGT94

Nov 20, 2003
NW Burbs, IL
If the sensors go bad, will they throw a code in the Engine Running mode? If not, how can I tell if they're bad or not? What are some symptoms? I'm chasing down a lean condition and want to know if they could be my problem.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

wont necessarily toss a code. they should range from 0.1 to 1.0 volts. as they age, they dont read right (so fuel is not trimmed as well as it could be) and they get hysteretic.

you can grab a DMM and check them. higher volts is richer. until they totally crap out, the CEL may not come on.
more info on your lean condition??
good luck.

ah, just saw your other thread with the codes. if both O2's are old, it can be them, or more likely is a primary fuel issue (pressure, FPR, vac leak, etc).

see other thread for a little info on testing O2's.

good luck.

My lean problem is at all ranges, it even smells lean at idle. We added 10 lbs of fuel (52 psi with 24# injectors) and the A/F didn't change at all throughout the range (16/1). Some people are saying vacuum leak but I haven't found one yet. I'm in the process of tearing things down, sending the injectors out to be flowed and cleaned, looking into getting a new AFPR and re-doing the intake gaskets.

So from what I'm understanding, even if my O2's were absolute crap, the car would be rich and not lean, correct?

HISSIN50, I didn't see any other posts by you in the thread with the codes.

All help is very much appreciated!!

Thanks!