how do i check my starter?

jmd2914

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Napa, California
alright i was in the middle of my clutch install and i decided to replace my starter while i was under there, so it bolted up fine and all that good stuff, what im wondering is,while im still waiting for my tranny to be done so i can go pick it up, is there any way to check if the starter is going to engage correctly without starting the car? what will happen if i start the car with the clutch hooked up but no tranny in there? can i even do that?

• Sponsors (?)

I've never had a problem with a starter that I replaced engaging. If you are that concerned about it get a machinist scale(metal ruler) and place it in the teeth of the flywheel. If the gap lines up with the starter teeth then you should be good. I think you can start the car without the tranny but you have to jumper out one or two things I think. I wouldn't worry about the starter engagement.

I am not a fan of starting a car with an exposed clutch - that is a lot of potentlal schrapnel (sp) rotating around there.

Good luck.

Take the starter to any parts store and they will test it for free. As long as it works on the bench, it should work in the car. I wouldn't get too worried about whether the gear will engage the flywheel or flexplate.

-Matthew

hook up a hot wire to the positive post (the fat one) it is self grounded so dont worry about that, then use a screwdrive to bridge that to the small terminal (ignition switch) hold on tight otherwise youll drop it and if the gear engagues then its good.... the only other things than that to check would be making sure it goes the right distance to hit the flywheel but usually this is noticable