How do I check the caliper Slide pins?

• Sponsors (?)

Have somebody apply the brake pedal and watch to see if the pads close in on the rotor front side and back side of the rotor. Its a good idea to take them out once you're done, take the wire wheel to them to clean them, then apply some lithium grease on them.

you can also check them for true (i have seen them be bent before). if one pad is worn a lot more than the other (and the caliper is not sticking), that can indicate a bad pin.

i like to hit the pins with #00 steel wool first and then grease them up and reinstall them. everyone is right - just personal preference.

good luck.

sunil6784,

They aren't very expensive so just buy new ones. They have a sacrificial plating that wears off with use, so it is good to replace them when you do the pads and rotors anyways. They also come with a special patch lock applied to the new bolts.

Good Luck, Don

HISSIN50 said:
you can also check them for true (i have seen them be bent before). if one pad is worn a lot more than the other (and the caliper is not sticking), that can indicate a bad pin.

The pads may wear crocket even if the pins are straight. That's waht S.S. caliper guide sleves are for: keeps the caliper straigher so the pads wear more evenly and clamp more effectively.

dcarlson said:
The pads may wear crocket even if the pins are straight. That's waht S.S. caliper guide sleves are for: keeps the caliper straigher so the pads wear more evenly and clamp more effectively.
I was referring to the pads wearing unevenly (one wears more than the other), not crooked pad wear. I said that it can indicate a bad pin, not that this was the only cause. I believe I prefaced this by saying that one should check the pin for true to begin with. good info nonetheless. :)

Don, I did not know about the sacrificial coating - good stuff. :nice: (is it something with a low Coefficient of friction, like teflon)? I ask because i have cleaned the pins with carb cleaner before, and maybe the toleune in there was not so nice to the coating. :shrug:

So I checked the slide pins and they are fine. Then i got a buddy to press on the gas while i check if the wheel wobbles. The axle is bent...and it's been wobbling for a while apparently, so it made the rotor go out of round, and thats what was hitting against the pads. Go figure. That will be next weekend's project. Mother's day is tomorrow. :nice:

HISSIN50,

I'm pretty sure the caliper pins are coated with Cadmium (haven't checked on the SEM :) and this acts as a lubricant so the calipers don't jam on the pins. The first time I changed mine the coating was gone and the calipers would hang and cause uneven wear. So now I just put new ones on with each pad change and lube them with caliper lube.

Don

gt90stang said:
HISSIN50,

I'm pretty sure the caliper pins are coated with Cadmium (haven't checked on the SEM :) and this acts as a lubricant so the calipers don't jam on the pins. The first time I changed mine the coating was gone and the calipers would hang and cause uneven wear. So now I just put new ones on with each pad change and lube them with caliper lube.

Don
So noted. Thanks Don (another one of your gems). :nice: