How do I keep factory oil pres and water temp guages when adding autometers...?

MH88'Notch

Founding Member
Feb 11, 2002
Delta, B.C., Canada
Hi, I installed autometer water temp and oil pressure gauges (electric) and had to take the stock sending units out of my 88 5.0L. I tried hooking the factory wires to the new sending units and they didn't work. Does anyone know of an adapter so I can run 2 sending units for oil pressure and water temp?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

For the OP: The stock hole is 1/4" NPT. Your aftermarket gauge is likely 1/8" NPT. So get a brass tee from the hardware store, along with the appropriate adapters, and plumb both senders into the Tee.
Your observation is correct - gauges are sender specific. No mixing and matching; no using one sender for two gauges.

For water temp, personally I would put the new gauge's sender in the stock (most accurate) location. Then remove the brass plug in the rear of the lower intake (driver side) and put the stocker there. Or get a tapped waterneck from the parts house (10 bucks) and put the stocker there. This latter location is inaccurate if the t-stat sticks but you're probably not going to look at the stock temp gauge much anyhow (the real point is to not have a dead gauge).

Dont try to use a Tee housing two temperature senders (in case this sounds like an easy way to do things).

Good luck.

One time in AZ i could have sworn seeing an oil pressure T kit for sale in the ricer isle. It was a 2" long 1/4" tube and a T fitting. You screw the tube into the block and then put the aftermarket and factory senders into the T.

I didn't buy this kit, but it's what I used to do mine.

For water temp, put the autometer sender in the factory location and then put the stock one in the rear port that is plugged from the factory. Then you just extend the wiring. The gauge will read slightly cooler in this spot, but at least it works.

I hate having dead gauges

Alternate placement for a temp gauge sender: Use the heater feed that comes off the intake manifold. Cut the rubber hose that connects the manifold water feed to the heater and splice in a tee adapter for the temp gauge sender. Be sure to use the same water feed line as the ECT sensor. That way you will get the most accurate temp readings.

Tee adapter info:
Make a pilgrimage to your local hardware or home supply center and get some copper pipe and a tee that fits the temp gauge sender. Solder two pieces of copper pipe onto a copper pipe tee with threads in the tee part. Find the correct brass fitting to match the temp sender threads to the tee fitting.

attachment.php