• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

How do I know if my shocks / struts are bad ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 68 & 00 GT
  • Start date Start date Dec 14, 2003
6

68 & 00 GT

New Member
May 14, 2003
2,407
1
0
HOUSTON TEXAS
Dec 14, 2003
#1
  • Dec 14, 2003
  • #1
I added an Eibach Pro kit about 70K miles ago, and have been running my stock shocks, and struts with them the whole time. I kinda thought that may not be good for the stock parts. My car seems to be wondering on the lines in the road so I don't know if I just need alingment or more - My car feels firm still, but wonders too much in the highway.
Any suggestions ?
 

GT2000JAY

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
1,344
0
0
Northwest
Dec 14, 2003
#2
  • Dec 14, 2003
  • #2
Probably not your shocks or struts - the usual test is to push down on either bumper like you're trying to 'bounce' the car - this will at least tell you if they're totally shot.

In your case the wandering is more related to alignment, tire inflation, lowering. If it feels like the car is trying to grab every rut in the road and go with it. I'd start with the basics - check tire inflation. Overinflation would definitely play a part.

Just a couple thoughts.

Jay
 

GOLDENPONY

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2002
1,503
0
36
LOVELAND, OHIO
Dec 14, 2003
#3
  • Dec 14, 2003
  • #3
Shocks & Struts

With that many miles on the OE's it's probably time for new ones. I agree, get a good thrust angle alignment and make sure your tire pressures are right.
 

GT2000JAY

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
1,344
0
0
Northwest
Dec 14, 2003
#4
  • Dec 14, 2003
  • #4
GOLDENPONY said:
With that many miles on the OE's it's probably time for new ones. I agree, get a good thrust angle alignment and make sure your tire pressures are right.
Click to expand...

Good point. Didn't pay attention to the mileage. Looks like it's time for some nice adjustables. I did adjustables on mine (KYB's - reasonably inexpensive) and it's nice to dial the ride you want.
 
6

68 & 00 GT

New Member
May 14, 2003
2,407
1
0
HOUSTON TEXAS
Dec 14, 2003
#5
  • Dec 14, 2003
  • #5
Yeah I'm at 90K miles now, but it's all on a smooth riding highway to and from work every day. What do KYB's runs ? I got 4 - 3 way adjustible KYB (shocks) for like $30 ea for my 68. Any suggestions where to get them cheap. I heard somewhere Edelbrock has some good ones out that are inexpensive too. Any specific for my springs ? What'a a good drag racing set up that I don't have to spend a ton of cash on ? Of course I'll start with checking tire pressure, and alingment. What is out tire pressuere suposed to be ? 35 PSI ?
 

menasci

Member
Aug 17, 2003
640
1
16
Chandler, AZ
Dec 14, 2003
#6
  • Dec 14, 2003
  • #6
68 & 00 GT said:
I added an Eibach Pro kit about 70K miles ago, and have been running my stock shocks, and struts with them the whole time. I kinda thought that may not be good for the stock parts. My car seems to be wondering on the lines in the road so I don't know if I just need alingment or more - My car feels firm still, but wonders too much in the highway.
Any suggestions ?
Click to expand...

An easy way to test your shocks/struts is to push heavily on the car directly above a wheelwell and if the car bounces back up once quickly it is good.
If it bounces up and down more than once it is bad.
 

GT2000JAY

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
1,344
0
0
Northwest
Dec 14, 2003
#7
  • Dec 14, 2003
  • #7
68 & 00 GT said:
Yeah I'm at 90K miles now, but it's all on a smooth riding highway to and from work every day. What do KYB's runs ? I got 4 - 3 way adjustible KYB (shocks) for like $30 ea for my 68. Any suggestions where to get them cheap. I heard somewhere Edelbrock has some good ones out that are inexpensive too. Any specific for my springs ? What'a a good drag racing set up that I don't have to spend a ton of cash on ? Of course I'll start with checking tire pressure, and alingment. What is out tire pressuere suposed to be ? 35 PSI ?
Click to expand...

Here is a link to the tirerack - they have pretty good prices. Rear adjustables are about $80/Each and struts are around $100/Each. Take a look.

TIRERACK.COM - 2000 GT
 

GOLDENPONY

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2002
1,503
0
36
LOVELAND, OHIO
Dec 14, 2003
#8
  • Dec 14, 2003
  • #8
Shocks & Struts

I recently installed Edelbrock IAS Performer shocks & struts @ 60K miles. Very happy with the way the car handles and rides.
 
6

68 & 00 GT

New Member
May 14, 2003
2,407
1
0
HOUSTON TEXAS
Dec 14, 2003
#9
  • Dec 14, 2003
  • #9
GOLDENPONY said:
I recently installed Edelbrock IAS Performer shocks & struts @ 60K miles. Very happy with the way the car handles and rides.
Click to expand...

Made a big difference over stockers ?
 

GOLDENPONY

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2002
1,503
0
36
LOVELAND, OHIO
Dec 14, 2003
#10
  • Dec 14, 2003
  • #10
Shocks & Struts

Yep. Tightened everything up-less drama when going into turns and all without screwing up the ride
 

decoy562

New Member
Oct 9, 2003
1,526
0
0
Acworth, GA
Dec 16, 2003
#11
  • Dec 16, 2003
  • #11
Push down on the corners of the car, and if it bounces up and down, it's time to replace them.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

I
Engine Help requested in identifying how to resolve engine light issue
  • Ianslaney
  • Sunday at 2:23 PM
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
62
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Sunday at 2:40 PM
Bullitt347
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
358
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
G
  • Poll Poll
I got a free Mustang from Grandma
  • GrannysMustang
  • Mar 4, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
14
Views
528
The Welcome Wagon Mar 6, 2026
Realmongo
T
First Car, what should I do for power??
  • tunedV6
  • Apr 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
388
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 4, 2026
580HP*428Cj
5
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
351
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?