Roush How do I Resolve Pinging on my '01 SC?

I'm looking for some adivce or past experience because I just don't know where to start:

My a/f is 11.5:1 across the board, but when it starts to get really hot out, my car pings really bad. Even with 101 octane fuel I get a little ping at the top of my powerband :bang:

I've been speaking w/ the folks at SCT and Mark at PAS, and seems I might need to go the custom tune route. If at all possible, I'd prefer not to go custom tune route because there isn't anyone within 400 miles that can do cutom tuning around here.

Has anyone experience a similar problem or does anyone have some suggestions other than a custom tune?

Details:
6000 ft above sealevel
Chicane RIPP Kit
Chicane 66mm Pulley
MAFterburner Stage 1

Thanks a bunch!!

~ Billy
'01 S281-S/C #201
'99 S281-NA Cobra Speedster #357

• Sponsors (?)

Both BlackSaleen and FASN8N are right on the money.

400 miles, it could be worse. With your mods, at your altitude your motor is telling you could be one ping from peeling a piston or getting into a ring. Remember, that's a stock motor and regular stock mustang GT pump.
Try not to drive your car anymore to hear it ping, even with 101 octane at that pace. The demons will get you my friend if you egg them on. Trust me.

The money you spend on a tune will be the best money spend at this point. You may lose a bit of power but at least you will know you won't hurt it. :D

I highly respect the guys who have posted here and above, however I will offer a different solution. I have been assured personally, by the Snow performance people that their Snow water Methanol Kit will stop the pinging alltogether. I'm not saying this is the best solution but it will cost less than a tune. 399.99 and it's an easy fix that net's you more HP.
My experieance with ping... Blew my stock motor due to ping, put in a forged DSS block. went with a CAI (which helped) and run high octane fuel. I have no ping when I run 112 octane at the track. I ping with poor fuel Reg. Unleaded. Thus I never run anything but premium. I do run a chicane 66mm pulley and I am going with both the snow kit and an SCT Xcal II tune from MPH when I get some cash.
I would do something FAST because if you dont some ricer or modded diesal truck will tempt you, you'll punch it and you'll be eating 2K for a new motor. A tune is WAAAAAYY less than that. (I wish someone would have warned me)
OH and 6000FT wow Where are you New Mexico? Denver? SLC? I am at 4000 here in SLC.

Mstng2 said:
I highly respect the guys who have posted here and above, however I will offer a different solution. I have been assured personally, by the Snow performance people that their Snow water Methanol Kit will stop the pinging alltogether. I'm not saying this is the best solution but it will cost less than a tune. 399.99 and it's an easy fix that net's you more HP.
My experieance with ping... Blew my stock motor due to ping, put in a forged DSS block. went with a CAI (which helped) and run high octane fuel. I have no ping when I run 112 octane at the track. I ping with poor fuel Reg. Unleaded. Thus I never run anything but premium. I do run a chicane 66mm pulley and I am going with both the snow kit and an SCT Xcal II tune from MPH when I get some cash.
I would do something FAST because if you dont some ricer or modded diesal truck will tempt you, you'll punch it and you'll be eating 2K for a new motor. A tune is WAAAAAYY less than that. (I wish someone would have warned me)
OH and 6000FT wow Where are you New Mexico? Denver? SLC? I am at 4000 here in SLC.

I agree with you, however, Snow will advise on a new tune after the installation of the kit. You will not see any gains alone, maybe even a loss in HP after the install of a meth kit without properly tuning it after, hence a tune and meth kit or just a tune and see what happens.

It's almost always fatal to add the 66mm pulley with out doing a tune and a larger fuel pump. I would say from the pinging your pistons may already be damaged. You should stop driving the car or put back on the stock pulley before driving to get it tuned.

Barry
2000 Saleen SC281 #0388

Saleen Series ll, 66mm Pulley,255lph Fuel Pump

Mstng2 said:

Thanks for the info. I have just recently looked into the Snow Performance Boost Cooler, but I think the kit is not intended for roots/twinscrew chargers (there's a tech note on one of the pages on the website stating the intended use is for centrifugal blowers). This could be wrong, though, because I might have it confused with the Mr Freeze product......

NOTE:
A couple of weeks ago I installed a SVT Focus fuel pump, and simply tuned my A/F through a MAFterburner Stage 1 (11.5:1 across the board). Only since I adjusted my A/F have I noticed the problem. Initially my car was kinda' lean at around 16:1.

Anyhow, where do i live? Right near Albuquerque NM. Good guess!

Thanks again for all the info!!

~ Billy

Yea Billy,

Get rid of that MAFterburner. It's smoke and mirrors for your computer.

Would someone pull out the latest 5.0 mag, september issue and go to page 97 and tell me if that is not an 04 Cobra with a Snow Performance kit, Please?