Roush MAFterburner - Results After Install: 20 rwhp, 18 rwt

I just got done using the MAFterburner product to tune, among other things, my A/F mixture.

RESULTS:
+20 rwhp
+19 rwt
I believe the numbers wold have been better if we hadn't performed all the runs within one hour at about 85 degrees.

Since I had installed the Chicane RIPP Kit, Chicane 66mm pulley, and Focus fuel pump, my car hadn't been tuned but was in need of one. I didn't feel ike going through the custom tune process and decided to go to the MAFterburner product after a local saleen guy here recommended it (after previous runs on the dyno, it seemed on ly the A/F needed to be adjusted. I believe the results are pretty good for $299.

The product is so easy to use:

- run the car on the dyno
- adjust your A/F in % according to the way you want to go in increments of 400rpm
- Re-run car on dyno

It took me three runs to get my car running a 11.5:1 ratio throughout the RPM's. My tuner was thoroughly a.mazed at the ability of the product (I actually made the A/F adjustments)

Note: This tool also allows you to calibrate for injectors and can even read the voltage on your MAF sensor. This was handy because I thought, based on other peoples experience, that my MAF was "pegged." In fact, my voltage never exceed about 4 volts. Saved me the money I would have spent on the Lightning MAF at around $240.

http://www.mafterburner.com
~ Billy
'01 S281-SC #201
'99 S281-NA Cobra Speedster #357

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, you have made more power by getting your a/f to a good mixture, but what you have also done is thrown off the load scaling. See the problem with this product and calibrated MAF's for that matter, is that the eec uses the MAF voltage for more than adjusting fuel. It also uses the MAF to calculate load or volumetric effecientcy. What you have done is basically lowered the voltage at certain points in the MAF curve in order to fool the eec and reduce the amount of fuel it adds. At the same time, this now lower voltage also tells the eec that the engine is not under as much load so it will now add timing. While this works, it is not exactly the best way to do it. Ideally you want all of the sensors going to the eec to be as acurate as possible, then adjust the eec's commanded values to add or take away fuel.

jstreet0204 said:
Ok, you have made more power by getting your a/f to a good mixture, but what you have also done is thrown off the load scaling. See the problem with this product and calibrated MAF's for that matter, is that the eec uses the MAF voltage for more than adjusting fuel. It also uses the MAF to calculate load or volumetric effecientcy. What you have done is basically lowered the voltage at certain points in the MAF curve in order to fool the eec and reduce the amount of fuel it adds. At the same time, this now lower voltage also tells the eec that the engine is not under as much load so it will now add timing. While this works, it is not exactly the best way to do it. Ideally you want all of the sensors going to the eec to be as acurate as possible, then adjust the eec's commanded values to add or take away fuel.

You are exactly right! That was the information I was looking for before I bought and installed the MAFterburner. With the added timing, my car is now starting to ping :damnit: Chalk that one up as a lesson learned

I'm gonna' bail on the MAFterburner and just get a custom SCT tune. I was trying to avoid the tune because there isn't anyone within 400-500 miles that can actually put my car on the dyno and do the tune. I have been talking with Mark over at Performance Auto Sport and I feel comfortable he can help me get my car tuned with some raw data using my local dyno shop. Any suggestions :shrug:

Thanks again for clairifying the functionality of the MAFterburner.

~Billy