How KH factory disc brakes compare to modern/aftermarket

gikort

Nov 26, 2010
Saw a similar thread on another forum and would just like to get a little more input. I have a '67 with the factory 4 piston power disk brakes. I was planning on replacing them with some 05+ 12.5" mustang front discs, but now I am kind of reconsidering.

Would I see much improvement over stock with some late model or aftermarket brakes keeping in mind I want to keep it affordable? Or should I just buy some new rotors (possibly slotted and/or drilled) for the factory KH 4 piston system that is currently on the car?

The car is mostly street, but I also want it to to perform well and be safe.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The answer to this really lies in what you use your Mustang for, and how you drive it. If it is a street car with the occasional high-speed blast on the highway, the K-H disc binders will work perfect. The only time the oversized brakes pay for thier price and compromises is when you need much more brake capacity in a racing, autocross, or high-speed application.

Are you on a budget, or have you recently scammed the stock market with all of Greece's money, and that's not a factor? (current economy joke only! :rolleyes:)

As well, converting to these larger aftermarket systems will most probably require a change in wheels, including larger rim diameters, suspension pieces, master cylinder change, plumbing, and much more to your brake system than just bolting on new calipers for the look. Plan on spending easilly 4-8 times the money when you are done with an aftermarket system.

Best advice I can give in your situation is to make sure your system is in proper working order, you have in good brake fluid (DOT-4, NOT 5). There are more aggressive pads available, and they can slightly increase your stopping capacity. Slotted rotors are neat to look at, but thier ability to increase brake force is debated. they are designed to help cool the brakes after ahrd braking, but also will lead to rotor cracking and a short life. Stock rotors are amazingly durable when treated right. As well, how are your tires? If your brakes are so good, you can lock them up quick and just skid for miles, then what good are they?

Just some food for thought!

So, take a hard look at what you need for brakes, and how much you want to change before picking up that wrench.

The article I am working on hopes to cover this exact aspect.

Dan

BTW - On my racing Factory Five Cobra, I am still running a stock type single-piston caliper with very aggressive HAWK racing pads, and have them ducted for cooling air right into the rotor hat from the front of the car's grille. It does stop! No fancy-schmancy brakes there, just a well integrated system.

ditto to what Chepsk8 says .... SSBC makes a retro Aluminum caliper that replaces the OEM KH units fwiw .... I have the original KH's on my '67 and they work great .... one note, whilst you're doing the rebuild, get stainless pistons from SSBC or some other vendor .... the stock ones will pit/rust over time and that causes the puck to seize up and not function properly .... the SS ones work well and last forever .... good luck !!

Thanks for the info chepsk8, I would be interested in reading your article. I think I will stick with my stock ones. Like you say, they work pretty good. I did rebuild them about 6 years ago, but reused the same pistons, just changed the o-rings etc.

67GTFB I looked on ssbc's website but couldn't find any stainless pistons, do you have a link? How would aluminum pistons work? - I could lathe some...

Thanks for the input. Yes seized pistons would definitely be problematic haha. I found the stainless ones at mustangsunlimited, but they cost 15 bucks a piece...

Thanks for the info chepsk8, I would be interested in reading your article. I think I will stick with my stock ones. Like you say, they work pretty good. I did rebuild them about 6 years ago, but reused the same pistons, just changed the o-rings etc.

67GTFB I looked on ssbc's website but couldn't find any stainless pistons, do you have a link? How would aluminum pistons work? - I could lathe some...

he wasnt talking about aluminum pistons, but rather aluminum caliper bodies, with steel pistons.

as for the effectiveness of the stock k-h disc brakes, they work just fine. in fact when you compare piston area, rotor size, and brake pad material, they all work just about the same regardless of design. there are upgrades you can do to make the brakes work better, but as chepie noted, the overall expense may not be worth the effort. the easiest upgrade is pad material, and hawk and ebc both have some good street pads. the other of course is tires.

The new 4 Piston K/H style calipers Do Not Stick if manufactured correctly

The Piston do not have to be Stainless, Nickle Chrome Plated Pistons work just as well. , Nickle/Chrome plated piston are same as your daily driver uses.

Facts are facts, Most modern calipers are cast iron with Nickle/Chrome pistons. If you have no problem with them sticking in your driver, they certainly won't on the new K/H 4 piston either.

Yes, originals did--Because of poor design of the pistons.

Dan @ Chockostang