how much do they take out of your pay for taxes?

83Mustang427TT

Jan 18, 2006
Hey Guys i've got a new job pretty good one I make 10.50 and hour to start and I claimed my son this year since he was born on apr.23 just wondering if anyone knows how much they usually take from yor paycheck each week in taxes? I heard around 15% ?!?! Im in NJ if that matters :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

It all depends on what you are claiming when you filled out your tax paperwork. I claim 0 now so I have a lot taken out but get a nice refund at the end of the year. If you claimed 1, it will be a smaller percentage taken out, but you won't get as big of a refund later.
There are a lot of variables here...

i live in ny.i dont pay city tax but i pay state and fed.and they get me for about 22% my checks have me at single 0 but are suposed to me married 1 so that should change a little.if i still lived in the city it would be about 3-5%higher. phil

I just worked 16 days straight 12hrs per day and for the one 7 day period sun-sat i paid $1793 TAX. This is Canada for you, for the total 16 days I paid $3793 in tax alone. But I did take home $5600 cash so I guess I cannot complain.....hell yes I can, the taxes we pay here are ludicrous, plus we pay another 14% on almost all things we buy. Here the taxes increase after around 30k then more at 70k then at over 100k you really get raped, but I hope to see a good refund as I do not make that much on a regular basis. In your pay rate I imagine 15% would be close no more than 20%, and claiming a child would further reduce what you pay. Your tax system is much more reasonable than ours.

Why are you single guys claiming 0? You're giving your money away in an interest free loan for a year. You think Uncle Sam would give you an interest free loan? I claim 2 and got back a little less than $100 last year. That's close enough for me to break even.

You can get a pretty good estimate of how your paycheck would vary with different withholding status at www.paycheckcity.com

Canada's tax system isnt that bad, you receive every penny of what you pay if you dont clear 17k a year, and if you clear that then you get 85% back. You also get your gst cheques every three months if you make less than 35 grand a year. Its kinda funny that you say you dont make much though when you got a 5k cheque...I make that in 4 months...

Im only 17 so idk about the whole claming thing, but My paychecks are like 310-360 every 2 weeks, and they take out about 50-70 dollars every paycheck, It REALLY pisses me off, I only worked for a few months last year and they gave me like 165 bucks back at the end of the year, but hoesntly Id rather have the money in the paycheck then a decent check at the end of the year.

wht93gtEd said:
I'm in NJ....

0 dependents, including my medical, dental, vision contributions, plus federal and state taxes...comes out to about 28% total.

I have't signed up for the 401k yet, so that'll add some too.

Looks like I'll be closer to you Ed with the exception that I have 1 dependant my son, I get the 401K and the medical dental vision and life insurance ...I pretty much work for the goverment making making gas masks for the army you think they'd cut us a break but I doubt it .How does the 401K work Im only 25 years old and unforntunatly have never had a job that had it until now .Its like a retirement fund you can take money from right? you pay in and the company pays in to match it then when you need it you can take it out right?:shrug: